• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cupcake theory

ChrisTaylor

I want to be able to make birthday cakes for my students. Catering for different tastes and for primary school kids, I figure cupcakes are better than a full-sized sponge. I can make 2-3 batches for the class in different flavours. I don't need to bring a knife into the classroom and muck around cutting portions. I'm going to ask them what flavours they like in fruits/vegetables/etc and try and work from that. I mean, if I can get away with having more than bog standard chocolate cupcakes, that'd be cool. If a kid really likes, say, oranges, to make an orange cupcake would be cool. Or a beetroot cupcake. Or whatever.

I want to get some experimentation in to see what's possible with the cupcake format as I don't do a lot of baking. What's a good base recipe for cupcakes that I can, within obvious limitations (i.e. adding too many solid things like berries/chocolate chips, too much of a liquid ingredient, too much of some powdered ingredient like cocoa powder would impact in a negative way on the end result), modify? What's the best way of flavouring cakes--and I mean the sponge here, not the icing. Ideally I'd like to avoid the expense of speciality ingredients like freeze dried blueberry powder.

Edited by ChrisTaylor (log)

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

My big concern here is whether any of your students have food allergies, and to what extent.

I used to work with a woman who was so allergic to eggs that she could not eat them as an ingredient in a food.

Other than that, pound cake takes to added ingredients well. It's not very sweet, and bakes up nicely as a cupcake, as long as your timing is right.

Theresa :smile:

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."

- Abraham Lincoln

Yeah. I'll have a list of allergies. Schools here are generally nut-free zones, anyway. Especially in terms of stuff the school provides to kids. I'll dig around for some gluten-free and egg-free recipes for any kids with those issues.

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

As Tmriga says, a basic pound cake recipe is fine- equal quantities by weight of butter, sugar, eggs & flour. A few months ago I googled through loads of cupcake recipes. They were all pound cakes. Some had a small amount of milk added, or perhaps orange juice, but in terms of proportions all the recipes I found were 1:1:1:1. You can easily add cocoa/chocolate, orange zest or even a gingerbread spice mix without catastrophe.