• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Boom was nearly a bust

Scargo

OK, I'm done with catch-phrase cutesiness.

Boom has a great marina view, but you don't get to see the ocean except on the drive in. Located in Brewer Pilot's Point Marina, there's a sign on Route One. A little tricky to get to, but fairly close to exit 64 off I-95. Nice boats to watch, coming and going, but the food is just OK.

We went there for lunch today, on May 4, a very warm and sunny day. The deck was not open! As we neared completion of our meal they set up a table outside for some people. I guess we had no pull. We were very irritated because we went there specifically to eat outside and enjoy the view.

I wanted oysters, yet they said they were "out" at noon (and nobody in the place had ordered)!

The appetizer of five fried shrimp were pretty good, with a roumelade type of dressing, that wasn't your ordinary tartar sauce.

The small bowl of tomato bisque overwhelmed the scallops. The bisque itself was delicious, but so strong that the scallops could have been tofu....

My fish and chips was a mixed bag. The cole slaw was quite good, though the waiter was very unprofessional with his quick-twist stinginess with the grinding of pepper before he hastily retreated. I asked for more, when he came back by (there was no pepper on the tables-just salt) and he brought the grinder back to the table and left it. The fries were like real shoestrings; thin, flat and long. They were greasy and got cold in a heartbeat. Cool looking, but functionally, not a good idea. The flounder was breaded nicely with Panko (or a Panko-combo breading), and cooked perfectly. However, the fish wasn't that fresh.

Service was slow for only four people occupying just two tables in the place for most of the time; until those that got special treatment arrived.

We had wine by the glass and the name was never devulged. Both red and white were so-so and seemed to have been open for a while.

The tap water tasted like crap. I can't believe a restaurant would serve it, as it is. They need a filter!

The female manager (who seemed to show up around 12:30PM), talked very loudly while on the portable phone; and she was on the phone quite a bit. She seemed oblivious that there were customers in the restaurant.

I see no reason to go out of my way to return here. The restaurant is nice enough and it is in an interesting "big boat" marina area. The simple lunch with four glasses of house wine cost us $60!

Boom restaurants are in Westbrook and in Old Lyme. This (Westbrook) location was closed for a time and subsequently reopened. They used to have one in Stonington, CT, but that has new owners and is called "Dogwatch".

It may have been only May fourth, but they were not ready for prime-time.

DSC00718.jpg

DSC00719.jpg

DSC00720.jpg

DSC00721.jpg

Banished from Chowhound; I like it just fine on eGullet!

If you`re not big enough to lose, you`re not big enough to win! Try this jalapeno, son. It ain't hot...