• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Moro/providores/embassy

I've had excellent brunch/tapas at providores

the french toast with bacon and banana is highly recommended. Also the only place I have every been able to track down a deep fried egg.

Brunch on the w/e goes from midday to about threeish, when they switch to a tapas menu after an hour's break

cheerio

J

More Cookbooks than Sense - my new Cookbook blog!

We recently visited Providores for dinner with family that were over from New Zealand (mainly because of the NZ chef). Service was very attentive and obliging and the food was a delicious modern fusion with a good balance of flavours. Everyone thoroughly enjoyed it.

Oh, and for desert, try the Saffron - chilli poached quince with the New Zealand favourite, Hokey Pokey ice cream. Yum!

http://www.theprovidores.co.uk

I've been to Moro a couple of times this year. The first I was blown away by the experience, feeling the freshness, ingredients, preparation etc. were like the River Cafe on a good day without its prices. The second time I was disappointed, but probably because my memories were so extreme. It does tend to be filled with exhibitionist celebs. I find the staff unfailingly helpful and the wine list very good value. I will certainly go back again.

Downstairs at Providores (actually the same menu is served upstairs from a later time), as Jon says, is one of the best places for w/e brunch. The tapa room food is pleasant but it can get rather smokey. If, like me, you don't smoke, it's not allowed in the more formal upstairs, where on my one visit I had some tremendous brill that was a real testament to successful fusion. 3 courses circa £35 for food from what I remember.

Edited by Kikujiro (log)

I've been to Moro a couple of times this year, last time a couple of weeks ago for lunch. I had the charcoaled pork belly with chard which was delicious. My only problem with Moro is the hit and miss service and the generally very loud noise levels.

Went to the Providores when we needed a break from from the standard modern british/french etc food. It was on the whole very enjoyable, can't remember exactly what we had, as I recall the more unusual combinations worked better than the more standard items on the menu, except we had the sweet potato mash that loads of reviews recommended and it was horrible, nasty gluey sickly sweet stuff (but I guess we do not like sweet potatoes). Service was good wine list not bad and decent cocktails.

The downstairs as others have mentioned gets very busy, the tables are v close together and consequently very noisy also.

Its a good place to go for something different, decent food while not being great.

Paul