• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Le Louis XV, Monte-Carlo

felixhirsch

My meal here in late September was a revelation. It wasn't the first time I had the incredible luck to eat here, but it was the first time that I was completely blown-away by what I was eating. The food was incredibly powerful, precise, perfect, regional, hearty, great and memorable. This was far more impressive than most places I have visited, and I would rank it, alongside ADPA, SChloss Berg and Hof van Cleve, among my favourite restaurants in the world. The products themselves would suffice in their raw state, but perfected by the grandiose, simple recipes of Pascal Bardet, they seem even more impressive. I can't really think of a meal that moved me more than this one. That might be one of the reasons for my return, a few days later...

• 3 weeks later...

Another meal, another completely different menu, another great, unforgettable experience. Those few words might be a distillation of my second lunch at Louis XV in late September this year.

The whole thing was as great as the first meal, I had a few days earlier, with only one slight hick-up ( a duck breast, which might not have been the most tender bird I've come across, but by no means anywhere near tough). In short, if you want the best on the Riviera, and possibly one of the best in Europe go, and go again,... You are most likely to not regret that decision.