• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

jmolinari

Lardo

• 300 g salt
  • 1 l water
  • 2 cloves of garlic
  • 9 g fresh rosemary
  • 7 sage leaves
  • 3 bay leaves (i used fresh)
  • 7 juniper berries
  • 1000 g hunk of backfat (as thick as you can find)

Make a brine and bring to a boil, add the herbs and let it sit as if you were making a tea (i let it sit covered until it was cool)

Put lard in a tightfitting tupperware or non reactive vessle that you don't need for 3 months :)

pour brine with all the herbs over the lard. The lard is going to want to float, so you need to so something to keep it down. I used a clean meatl chain to weigh it down, and then put a weight on top of the tupperware lid.

Put in the fridge

Flip ever 30 days

Leave minimum 3 months. Take it out, rinse and dry very well.

Keywords: Appetizer, Hors d'oeuvre, Italian

( RG1728 )

• Similar Content

• By shain
      400g wide pasta/noodles, best to use one made with eggs 4 baking apples (600g-700g) (I use Gala, as I find Granny Smith to be a bit too tart here). Peeled and cut into strips 80g-100g raisins, or chopped dried apricots 70g (1/3 cup) sweet wine (or whatever not-tart wine you have on hand) 1-2 tablespoons butter 70g-80g toasted walnuts, roughly chopped 90g dark brown sugar 1.5 tablespoons cinnamon 2/3 teaspoon salt 5 eggs  
      In a large bowl, soak raisins in wine. Add butter (unmelted), walnuts, sugar, cinnamon and salt. Cook the noodles until al-dente. Drain well and mix the hot noodles in the bowl until coated with the butter and sugar. Let chill a little (so that the eggs won't cook), then add the eggs and apples. Mix well. Pour into a spring-form pan, or a casserole pan. Gently flatten making sure to push down any nuts you see, to prevent them from charring. Bake in a 190C hot oven, for 30 minutes or so. Remove from the oven, brush the top with butter (1-2 teaspoons). Optionally sprinkle some sugar on top for added crunch. Bake for 25-30 additional minutes, until the top is well browned and crisp. Serve immediately, or bake to re-crisp just before serving. Reheats well in an oven (or in a MW, but you'll lose the crispness).  
      I make it every year for nearly 10 years.

2020:

2019:

2018:

• By shain
      This is a recipe Iv'e been making for years, at least once per summer.
      It's quick to make, and I often divide into two pans, and refrigerate them, to be baked as a quick weekday dinner.

500g fusilli pasta 250g dry mozzarella cheese - diced (apx 1cm sized cubes) 40-100g cream (full fat, or a larger amount of half and half) - I usually go with 40g, but we tend to prefer things not overly rich 4 large tomatoes (or 6 medium ones), preferably drier varieties, such as Roma tomatoes - cut into stripes 8-9 minced garlic cloves - minced apx 35g basil - chopped + more for serving optional: 1-2 tsp nutritional yeast plenty of pepper salt to taste, 1-2 tsp (I'm a salt lover and often use 2, but it also depends on the saltiness of the cooking water)  

Cook the pasta a little shy of al dente. Drain well, let cool a bit. Place in a large bowl, mix in remaining ingredients. Can be refrigerated at this point. Place the entire amount or half of it in a shallow casserole dish that will contain the pasta so that it is not too tall - you want plenty of surface area. Bake under a low broiler (~220-230 deg C) for apx. 40-50 minutes until the top browns very deeply and the pasta is very crisp. Scatter some more basil. Serve immediately.  

• By ShylahSinger
      Hello! I'm fairly new to this site so I don't know if my search was weak. I'm trying to find a way to make Mandarin orange puree at home, but I couldn't find anything even similar in the forum. I am a home cook, but I have been making chocolate bonbons and other confections for over 4 years (intermitantly). It is too expensive for me to purchase this online- not because of the price of the puree, but the cost of shipping makes it prohibative. The recipes I've seen online are all differant and don't seem to be what I need. 
      I would love any help with this! I look forward to hearing and learning from those who have much, much more experience than me. Thanks!
    • By Susanwusan
      Hi, has anyone got a nice recipe for mango jelly using tinned mango puree (850g) and agar-agar powder (and possibly mango juice drink)? 
    • By AlaMoi
      made a tapenade using the usual garlic / olives / olive oil / lemon juice recipe - with kalamata olives.
      I have anchovy (tinned and paste) on standby . . . we both like anchovy....

now,,, I like kalamata olives - especially in a salad that involves feta....
      however, DW is underwhelmed and suggests 'it is just too strong'

we don't have a large selection of olives at the market - other than the usual green/black/with without stuffings...
      Castelvetrano
      the store has an olive bar - but the descriptions are strictly marketing BS - not specific olive types.  lots of 'mixtures'

the Castelvetrano press is pretty good - any experiences on toning down from kalamata welcomed.
      other tips.... i.e. 50-50 Kalamata & black/green, etc.

we do Amazon, so we should be able to get any type . . .