• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bess's Ettoufee

Mayhaw Man

Bess's Ettoufee

This one is not Brooksie's, but pretty close. This is the recipe of a Delta woman, my best friend's mama, who married a New York Dr. (Joe Baum's (Windows on the World) nephew, come to think of it) in Lafayette during the war. She could cook. Lord, she could cook. She had the first commercial stove in a home kitchen that I ever saw. She knew what to do with it. Sadly, she passed a few years ago, but her recipes live on.

This one has no tomatoes. While I have some recipes that do, this is pretty close to the traditional deal, I think. (and yes, it's got a can of mushroom soup in it, and I use it, but if you just hate cans and can't deal with it make a white roux (beurre blanc) with 1/2 cup of butter and 1/2 cup flour -but the soups easier and better)

Be sure and visit the Gumbo, Jambalaya, Etouffee, Creole..., Please Advise thread for more than you ever wanted to know!

• 2 lb cleaned shrimp
  • 1/2 lb butter
  • 2 T all purpose flour
  • 3 large yellow onions
  • 1 medium bell pepper (you pick the color, although green would be the normal)
  • 3 ribs celery
  • 1 can cream of mushroom soup
  • 2 c shrimp stock (or any other you have around, but shrimp is best)
  • 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
  • salt to taste
  • black pepper to taste
  • good dash of cayenne
  • paprika (hot kind if you have it)
  • 1/2 c green onion tops

Season shrimp to taste with salt, pepper, and cayenne

Melt butter and add flour, cook until incorporated, not dark

and add the onions, bell pepper, celery, and garlic

Cook til wilted

Add can of soup

Mix well and simmer few minutes until smooth

Add shrimp and 1 1/2 cups stock and simmer 30 min or so

Add the rest of the stock just before serving and stir til smooth

Season with more salt and and pepper and add the paprika for color

Add onion tops to top of ettoufee after it is placed over good white rice

I highly reccomend some good rice for this. While certainly Konriko or something woud be traditional, a nicely flavored rice like Jasmine or Texmati adds much to the dish.

Serve with salad and warm, crusty bread

Keywords: Main Dish, Seafood

( RG1219 )

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...