• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

CHILAQUILES:

Jaymes

CHILAQUILES:

TOMATILLO SAUCE

• 1 tsp or so cooking oil (just enough to cover botton of saucepan)
  • 6 or so whole tomatillos, paper skins removed
  • jalepeños, or other chile peppers, to desired "pica"
  • water to cover
  • Put tomatillos and chiles in saucepan and water, just to barely cover. Bring to boil and cook just till tomatillos are soft (not too long, don't want them "mushy"). Put tomatillos and peppers (do no
  • 2 small cloves garlic
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/4 c chopped onion
  • "handful" cilantro
  • 2 tsp "caldo de pollo" (which I interpret to mean powdered chicken boullion, but I don't know for sure...should have asked, but never did...that's what I add and it comes out fine)

Blend in food processor very well. Add cooking water to reach desired "sauce" consistancy...you want it fairly liquid, but flavorful and not "watered-down" tasting, so use your own judgment

CHILAQUILES:

Salsa verde (tomatilla sauce); torn tortilla chips (the best to use are stale corn tortillas, fried - and although as with most things, the better the quality of the ingredients, the better the final dish, my Mexican friend Lita uses Fritos and told me not to laugh before I tried it and I didn't and I did and she's right, although they are not so good as regular tortillas, as a shortcut, they work just fine); queso manchego (or asadero, or ranchero, or fresco, or any other Mexican white cheese that you like); and sour cream.

In bottom of microwaveable dish, spread a little tomatilla sauce, then layer of Fritos, then more sauce, then sour cream, then "bastante queso" (enough cheese).Repeat, until dish is full or ingredients are all used up, finishing with cheese. Microwave one minute, or till chilaquiles are heated through and cheese is melted. You'll probably have to experiment a time or two in order to get all of the proportions just right.

Keywords: Mexican

( RG422 )

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.