• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

MEL'S CHORIZO

=Mark

MEL'S CHORIZO

CHORIZO This is a mexican sausage which can be used in many ways: fried with eggs for a taco breakfast; fried with potatoes and eggs & eaten with tortillas; fried and eaten with melted white cheese and tortillas; used in a variety of soups; in paella; the list is virtually endless. While maintaing authenticity, I have also cut out quite a bit of the cholesterol usually found in chorizo

• 2/3 c cider vinegar
  • 8 garlic cloves
  • 1 bay leav
  • 1 tsp dried marjoram
  • 2 tsp dried oregano
  • 12 peppercorns
  • 6 whole cloves
  • 4 allspice
  • 2 T salt
  • 2 oz vodka, tequila, or whiskey

3 pounds pork tenderloin, fat removed, ground medium. You can ask your butcher to do this, or use a grinder if you have one.

1 cup vegetable shortening

Mix the pork and vegetable shortening well and refrigerate. Meanwhile, slightly char 3 chile ancho and let soak in 1 cup hot water for one hour. Then, remove stems and seeds and place in a blender with the above ingredients. Blend on high.

Add to pork and mix very well. Place in a strainer or colander over a bowl, cover, and let sit in the refrigerator for 12 hours. Next day, either stuff into sausage casings (ten feet or so), or ask your butcher to do it for you, or make patties and freeze them, although they will stay good in the refrigerator for several days. I like to use what I need for a few days and then freeze the rest

Keywords: Hot and Spicy, Sauce

( RG277 )

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak