• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Larb

snowangel

Larb

Growing up in Thailand, the first larb I ever ate was with raw pork. I now make this version; my Thai friend (and former nanny) taught me how to make larp this way. Can also be made with beef or chicken, and I have also made it with raw tuna.

Larb has quite a following on eGullet as you can see from the thread in the Cooking forum -- Larb Laab Larp, the thread. Be warned, there are a lot of pages!

• 1 T Toasted Rice powder
  • 3 T Lime juice
  • 3 T Chicken Stock
  • 3 T Nam pla (fish sauce)
  • 6 tsp Ground red chilis (dried, not fresh)
  • 4 Shallots, minced
  • 1 Stalk lemon grass, bottom portion minced
  • 3 Kaffir lime leaves, chiffonade
  • 3 Scallions, thinly sliced
  • 1 tsp Powdered galangel
  • 6 oz Pork, chopped in food processor or with cleaver
  • Lettuce leaves
  • Sticky rice (optional)

NOTE: For toasted rice powder, you can purchase or make your own. I prefer to make my own, toasting raw sticky rice in a wok and grinding in spice grinder.

NOTE: For all of the ingredients except the galangel and toasted rice powder, quantities are approximate. I often up them by 15-25%, depending on how I want it that day. I often add Thai basil (depending on availability) and/or cilantro; some like it with mint.

Poach ground pork in broth in wok or skillet. Add remaining and heat. If you want it spicier, you can add thinly sliced bird chilis. I usually opt to reduce the amount of ground chilis and add the bird chilis.

Serve with lettuce leaves and/or cooked sticky rice.

Good warm or left-over (better at room temp than cold). Great for appetizer, lunch, dinner, mid-night snack, whenever.

Keywords: Thai, Easy

( RG207 )

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"