• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

Finally got around to trying this recipe for Mexican Street-Corn Paletas (Corn, Sour Cream and Lime Popsicles) that appeared in the NYT a few years ago. 

Edited to add a link to this non-NYT version of the recipe: Mexican Street-Corn Paletas

These are OK but not great, to my taste anyway.  

IMG_8599.thumb.jpg.8fb6749bdb59970c7f8be80171e905fb.jpg

I liked the slightly chewy texture of the toasted corn kernels in the creamy corn base. The cooked corn/milk/serrano chile/lime mixture tasted delicious after I puréed it.  Still warm, I thought it could be a delicious soup so I had great expectations.  I'm not sure the additional steeping time with the corncobs did that much as freezing tends to mute the flavors and that's probably the source of my disappointment - the corn flavor was so much more muted in the frozen pops than in the still-warm purée.  The sour cream that's blended into the mix doesn't really come through as a separate flavor.  If I were to make these again, I'd leave the sour cream out and barely swirl some crema into the mix, drizzling some into the molds so it stays a little separate as in the various fruit & cream pops I've made. 

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

Finally got around to trying this recipe for Mexican Street-Corn Paletas (Corn, Sour Cream and Lime Popsicles) that appeared in the NYT a few years ago. 

These are OK but not great, to my taste anyway.  

IMG_8599.thumb.jpg.8fb6749bdb59970c7f8be80171e905fb.jpg

I liked the slightly chewy texture of the toasted corn kernels in the creamy corn base. The cooked corn/milk/serrano chile/lime mixture tasted delicious after I puréed it.  Still warm, I thought it could be a delicious soup.  I'm not sure the additional steeping time with the corncobs did that much as freezing tends to mute the flavors.  The sour cream that's blended into the mix doesn't really come through as a separate flavor.  If I were to make these again, I'd leave the sour cream out and barely swirl some crema into the mix, drizzling some into the molds so it stays a little separate as in the various fruit & cream pops I've made.