• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

The other day, I was invited to join friends for dinner and I brought a selection of popsicles for dessert.  I was asked if I'd tried making tomato pops.  I had not but decided I should try.

These are paletas de sangrita (spiced tomato-tequila pops) from Fany Gerson's Paletas. Made with fresh tomatoes, simple syrup, tequila, lime juice and Valentina hot sauce (she specifies choosing one that's not too vinegary.)

IMG_5758.thumb.jpg.7e5f92a05187b16bc625845a5e5eac38.jpg

I peeled the tomatoes but didn't remove the seeds. They are very interesting to eat - sweet, tart, spicy and a little boozy!  

I learned a lesson here.  See how the top of these sangrita pops look more melty compared to the end with the stick. That's because I didn't have quite enough warm water when I dipped the molds so the bottoms melted while the top of the mold stayed frozen and wouldn't release.  I will pay more attention to that next time.  

The wife of the friend who asked about the tomato pops loves avocados so I also made paletas de aguacate (avocado pops), again from the Paletas cookbook.  Avocado, sugar syrup, lime juice and a pinch of salt. 

IMG_0007.thumb.jpg.5e5022f841bbe514410c3e205972ba2c.jpg

These are cool, rich and creamy with just a little tartness from the lime. I'd say these are best made with very ripe, creamy Haas avocados.  

Finally my own invention:  Cucumber Mojito Pops.  Puréed cucumber, mint-infused simple syrup and rum.  I added some little cubes of diced cucumber and finely shredded mint leaves to the molds.

IMG_0008.thumb.jpg.4f6f56a2a2d50ea6947c978bbc46d3ad.jpg

The diced cucumber cubes were a good addition - kind of like tiny ice cubes in your drink.  The mint looks pretty but it doesn't add any punch of flavor and they have an unpleasantly limp texture so I'll leave them out next time.  And there will be a next time as I liked these a lot.

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

The other day, I was invited to join friends for dinner and I brought a selection of popsicles for dessert.  I was asked if I'd tried making tomato pops.  I had not but decided I should try.

These are paletas de sangrita (spiced tomato-tequila pops) from Fany Gerson's Paletas. Made with fresh tomatoes, simple syrup, tequila, lime juice and Valentina hot sauce (she specifies choosing one that's not too vinegary.)

IMG_5758.thumb.jpg.7e5f92a05187b16bc625845a5e5eac38.jpg

I peeled the tomatoes but didn't remove the seeds. They are very interesting to eat - sweet, tart, spicy and a little boozy!  

I learned a lesson here.  See how the top of these sangrita pops look more melty compared to the end with the stick. That's because I didn't have quite enough warm water when I dipped the molds so the bottoms melted while the top of the mold stayed frozen and wouldn't release.  I will pay more attention to that next time.  

The wife of the friend who asked about the tomato pops loves avocados so I also made paletas de aguacate (avocado pops), also from the Paletas cookbook.  Avocado, sugar syrup, lime juice and a pinch of salt. 

IMG_0007.thumb.jpg.5e5022f841bbe514410c3e205972ba2c.jpg

These are cool, rich and creamy with just a little tartness from the lime. I'd say these are best made with very ripe, creamy Haas avocados.  

Finally my own invention:  Cucumber Mojito Pops.  Puréed cucumber, mint-infused simple syrup and rum.  I added some little cubes of diced cucumber and finely shredded mint leaves to the molds.

IMG_0008.thumb.jpg.4f6f56a2a2d50ea6947c978bbc46d3ad.jpg

The diced cucumber cubes were a good addition - kind of like tiny ice cubes in your drink.  The mint looks pretty but it doesn't add any punch of flavor and they have an unpleasantly limp texture so I'll leave them out next time.  And there will be a next time as I liked these a lot.