• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

1 hour ago, Shelby said:

Any recipes that use watermelon?  Have a half that I need to use up.

Yes!  I posted a picture of the watermelon & parsley pops here. They are very, very refreshing.  Almost like a palate-cleanser with that fresh parsley flavor.   

EDITED TO ADD: Link to recipe for watermelon & parsley pops

You just purée the watermelon, sweeten with simple syrup (they used ~ 6 oz simple syrup to 1 2/3 lbs of watermelon, ~ half of a bowling ball-sized melon) and then add finely chopped parsley (recipes says 20 leaves of flat-leaf parsley). 

They stress adding the simple syrup to taste because the fruit always varies.  I always reserve some of the melon to dice into little cubes and drop into the molds.  I usually put the pops in the freezer for about an hour so it's starting to freeze and then add the cubes.  I recall my parsley was rather float-y so I used the sticks to re-distribute things when I added the cubes.

There's a recipe for watermelon & lemongrass pops that's similar but heats the simple syrup with a sliced stalk of lemongrass and lets it steep a while to infuse the flavor.

And one for watermelon & cucumber pops that uses ~ 1/3 cucumber : 2/3 watermelon.  I was going to try that one but decided to go with the cucumber, elderflower & tequila pops instead.

43 minutes ago, Anna N said:

I am a huge fan of ginger. Damn! I have to make these

Recipe here.

43 minutes ago, Anna N said:

And kudos for finding yet another use for the IP.

Thanks!  Some of the IP enthusiasts over on the Facebook group seem to want to cook anything and everything in the IP so I was very amused by my use of it for popsicles!

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

50 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Yes!  I posted a picture of the watermelon & parsley pops here. They are very, very refreshing.  Almost like a palate-cleanser with that fresh parsley flavor.  

You just purée the watermelon, sweeten with simple syrup (they used ~ 6 oz simple syrup to 1 2/3 lbs of watermelon, ~ half of a bowling ball-sized melon) and then add finely chopped parsley (recipes says 20 leaves of flat-leaf parsley). 

They stress adding the simple syrup to taste because the fruit always varies.  I always reserve some of the melon to dice into little cubes and drop into the molds.  I usually put the pops in the freezer for about an hour so it's starting to freeze and then add the cubes.  I recall my parsley was rather float-y so I used the sticks to re-distribute things when I added the cubes.

There's a recipe for watermelon & lemongrass pops that's similar but heats the simple syrup with a sliced stalk of lemongrass and lets it steep a while to infuse the flavor.

And one for watermelon & cucumber pops that uses ~ 1/3 cucumber : 2/3 watermelon.  I was going to try that one but decided to go with the cucumber, elderflower & tequila pops instead.

26 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Recipe here.

26 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Thanks!  Some of the IP enthusiasts over on the Facebook group seem to want to cook anything and everything in the IP so I was very amused by my use of it for popsicles!

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

28 minutes ago, Shelby said:

They stress adding the simple syrup to taste because the fruit always varies.  I always reserve some of the melon to dice into little cubes and drop into the molds.  I usually put the pops in the freezer for about an hour so it's starting to freeze and then add the cubes.  I recall my parsley was rather float-y so I used the sticks to re-distribute things as they were freezing.

22 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Recipe here.

24 minutes ago, Anna N said: