• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Simpsons, Birmingham

"I tried to get a table at Purnell's .....but........well,.....Thats another story"

So said the "suit" at the table for eight enjoying a pre lunch drink.

"Still this place has a Michelin star as well"

As the table next to us was in earshot I tried to listen a bit, for more of the banter, but the menu was more appealing

This was our second somewhat overdue visit, having really enjoyed our dinner on the previous.

Drinks in the comfy lounge were slow in arriving, as indeed were the menus.

Part of the reason was the singular drinks list, surely they can print two?

Pricing is high, indeed grasping when compared with The Kitchin, where two campari sodas can be had for roughly the price of one here.

The lunch menu is somewhat of a true bargain, especially if you like wine because half a bottle is included in the price.

When you add in all of the extras like an amuse, pre dessert and petit fours you begin to see excellent value.

Almost a bakers dozen in the kitchen including the main man Luke Tipping who was at the pass.

A little wave of acknowledgement was appreciated as we sat at one of the tables close to the glass walled partition looking into where all the action was.

The main room is in the form of a conservatory with great views over the garden, its very light and spacious between the tables.

Bread is home made daily and is high quality with a choice of five types, its all very more-ish.

Amuse was a shot glass of something? with curry foam, all I remember was it was tasty.

Slow cooked belly of Suckling Pig, seared scallop, five spice, cashew nuts, bok choi.

Risotto of Lichfield asparagus, crispy duck egg, smoked oil, aged parmesan.

Home salted Cod, tomato, courgettes, preserved lemons, black olives,& thyme

Roasted spring Chicken, salsify chips, foie gras, green salad.

Chocolate ravioli, cherries, kirsch ice cream.

Thai mango crumble, exotic sorbet.

The Suckling Pig was wonderful, the scallop was divine, as best as you may imagine.

The whole dish was excellent

The asparagus and duck egg were typical, tasty, but lacked seasoning.

As it was salt and pepper were on the table, as I think it should be.

The chicken did not appeal to me so I went for the cod.

This was a big mistake as the chicken was far better. It was fabulous, loads of flavour, as good as chicken gets.

The salsify chips were top notch, and the foie gras added the extra zing to the dish.

Like Birmingham on the day, my dish lacked sunshine.

I've had this dish loads of times on the Cote d'Azur where the courgettes and tomatoes actually taste of the type, sadly we have to put up with tasteless import tomatoes with their thick inedible skin and bland inards.

The salt cod was ok-ish, but the preserved lemon jarred a bit.

Pre dessert was a very tasty donut on a stick, sitting atop a bed of apple? puree.

We dodged the mango crumble, it did not look appealing, and had the chocolate ravioli which was a fitting end to the meal.

We did not take coffee, however we were served the wonderful petit fours, which consisted of a selection of chocolates ( delish) and macaroons.

All in all a pretty good meal, poor choice on my part, made it stand out for criticism, some of it was excellent, especially the chicken, and the suckling pig.

Worth a visit?

Most definitely.

2 set lunch inc 2 half bottles wine £60

2 Manzanilla £11.50

service charge £8.94

Severn trent tap water FOC

"So many places, so little time"

http://londoncalling...blogspot.co.uk/

@d_goodfellow1

• 2 months later...

My experience at Simpsons yesterday places this restaurant first in my pursuit of the best QPR lunch menu in England, edging le Gavroche out of that position.

Amuse, pre-dessert, petit fours served even if you don't opt for coffee, plus 1/2 a bottle of wine( I took it as 1/4 Loire Sauvignon Blanc + 1/4 Cotes du Rhone) supplementing 3 flavoursome courses. Friendly and efficient service plus the opportunity to watch your food being cooked and plated. All for £30, a bargain.

it is an absolute bargain that lunch deal, been on many occasions and never left unhappy.

its been a few years since ive had to taste menu so may have to go back and check it out. last time i had copious amount of gold leaf. cant stand gold leaf, whats the point? mmmmm taste that lovely gold leaf. erm... no.