• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

We are going to Nassau on business and mostly have corporate dinners, but we are going to have a couple of free nights. We are staying at Atlantis and are looking for authentic Bahamian cuisine on Paradise Island or in Nassau--the more casual and authentic the better. Thanks!

S. Cue

I was in Nassau a few months ago. Ate at the Bahamian Kitchen. I thought the food was good, not great, but it was consistant with my prior experiences with Bahamian cuisine. There was a mix of locals and tourists when I was there, service was friendly, casual atmosphere. Surprisingly enough they have a website:

http://www.bahamiankitchen1.com/aboutus.html

Their is another place, whose name I can't remember, that is somewhat better. It's located near the bridge to Paradise Island on the New Providence side. It's quite local and far enough off the beaten track to have virtually no tourist activity. Sorry, I know this is so vague as to be unhelpful, but maybe someone else will have the name. I know it was in one of the books I had, but I don't have access to that book at the moment.

As far as local authentic cuisine goes, you will have to journey over the bridge into Nassau. At the foot of the bridge you have some stalls which offer things like conch salad, fritters, which is good but not an actual restaurant- but authentic none the less.

You also have the fish fry, but that will require a taxi ride of about 10mins. There you will have a selection of restaurants, which all offer pretty much the same food. Check out Twin Brothers....or anyone that you see that looks good to you. Expect fried fish, grouper, conch, peas and rice macaroni...beer, music....pretty good time.

Also over the bridge you have something that is extremely popular with locals....its call Chicken in a bag....you can tell the taxi driver you want to go to "bamboo shack" or Berthas....they will know exactly where to go...., its the best chicken i've ever had.

And if your not feeling like making the trip over the bridge...which would be a real shame...you can always go to Bimini Road in the Marina Village which serves bahamian fare. Its pretty similar because at the end of the day all the chefs there are local, so they know how to cook the local recipes, but it doesnt 'feel' the same as eating at Fish Fry or the dock...

As for what Florida said above, I think you may be talking about "Hammerheads" if i am not mistaken, which is a popular hangout with some locals.

Hope this helps....