• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

This is the traditional spice mix from Yemen. It is used in Yemeni cooking like garam masala is used in Indian cooking.

I am told the basic mix consists of garlic and hot and mild peppers.

Also every chef has their own unique list of spices that are added to give this mix their own unique flavor.

Do you use this for cooking?

What recipes do you use it in?

This one you have to spell Schug, to make it phonetic. I make this all the time and use it all the time - red one and a green one. The green one is a lot like "green masala."

For the green one, I use a few varieties of hot green colored peppers, lots of fresh cilantro, a whole head of garlic, oil, cumin, and cardamon, salt and pepper.

For the red one, I just substitute red colored hot peppers (it's not pure red, but red-ish).

I do it in the food processory. Sometimes I add a tiny bit of water just go get it going. It's fiery hot, marvelous, full of flavor. I make a good sized jar and keep it in the fridge...

This one you have to spell Schug, to make it phonetic.  I make this all the time and use it all the time - red one and a green one.  The green one is a lot like "green masala."

For the green one, I use a few varieties of hot green colored peppers, lots of fresh cilantro, a whole head of garlic, oil, cumin, and cardamon.

For the red one, I just substitute red colored hot peppers (it's not  pure red, but red-ish).

I do it in the food processory.  Sometimes I add a tiny bit of water just go get it going.  It's fiery hot, marvelous, full of flavor.  I make a good sized jar and keep it in the fridge...

Is there anything you do not know Nina? :rolleyes:

Certainly you are yet to taste that famous Schug Ice Cream Sundae?

I am told it is being made by this great French trained and American born, caucasian chef who spent some time in Yemen. The ice cream is made from what you could call green masala and is superb. The tastes of all the ingredients you mention in the green masala you prepare form the ice cream. And he tops it with Valrhona chocolate sauce and some zatar spiced candied nuts. Yummy! :wink:

• 3 years later...