• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fairway Cafe

MartyL

I have never been there.. My girl lives around the corner so I go there to shop... It seems unbelievable to me that they cant pull together a quality meal with all the options they have so readily available... But i take everyones suggestions to heart... Its so wierd that they wouldnt make this place a model of all the "possibilites" Fairway can offer and bang out the butters... Its plain stoopid.

Dinner has slipped badly, but one thing that's still as good as ever is their breakfast corned-beef hash served only on weekends. The brioche toast is great, but make sure you specify poached eggs, otherwise you get it sunnyside up - not terrible, but most prefer the poached.

Worth the trip from Staten Island just for that. But now I need to find another dinner spot before going to the West Side's best little off-Broadway theater.

Edited by rich (log)

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

• 2 months later...

FYI, there have been some recent enhancements to Fairway's web site. The cafe menu is now online:

http://fairwaymarket.com/steakhousecafe.cfm

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)