• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Izakaya

Kentan

With the opening of the original Guu on Thurlow in the mid-1990s, Vancouver got its first taste of izakaya (居酒屋), or Japanese-style pubs. Since then they've proliferated - so much so that Gourmet magazine just profiled 8 Vancouver izakaya as part of their "Eight Great" regional specialty series.

Here's their list:

1. Guu Otokomae

2. Toratatsu

3. Hapa Izakaya

4. Kingyo

5. Ping's Cafe

6. Yuji's Tapas

7. Alpha Global Sushi & Bar

8. Zakkushi

My quibbles - I would pick the Kitanoya Guu on Thurlow over the Gastown location, especially since it's the original. I'm not sure how they managed to leave out Gyoza King, since it's pretty much the standard for izakaya in town. Maybe it's not fancy enough for their liking? And though Zakkushi is great, it's not an izakaya, it's a kushiya.

Vancouver magazine also wrote up a number of izakaya in their December issue. They include more recent openings like Kakurenbou, Nan Chuu, and Shuraku.

健啖家(kentan-ka):A hearty eater

He was a wise man who invented beer." - Plato

With the opening of the original Guu on Thurlow in the mid-1990s, Vancouver got its first taste of izakaya (居酒屋), or Japanese-style pubs. Since then they've proliferated - so much so that Gourmet magazine just profiled 8 Vancouver izakaya as part of their "Eight Great" regional specialty series.

Here's their list:

1. Guu Otokomae

2. Toratatsu

3. Hapa Izakaya

4. Kingyo

5. Ping's Cafe

6. Yuji's Tapas

7. Alpha Global Sushi & Bar

8. Zakkushi

My quibbles - I would pick the Kitanoya Guu on Thurlow over the Gastown location, especially since it's the original. I'm not sure how they managed to leave out Gyoza King, since it's pretty much the standard for izakaya in town. Maybe it's not fancy enough for their liking? And though Zakkushi is great, it's not an izakaya, it's a kushiya. 

Vancouver magazine also wrote up a number of izakaya in their December issue. They include more recent openings like Kakurenbou, Nan Chuu, and Shuraku.

I hit the only one without a link...Kingyo. I must say, it did feel like Tokyo.

Or was that Oosaka?......

I hit the only one without a link...Kingyo. I must say, it did feel like Tokyo.

Or was that Oosaka?......

I guess they're busy enough that they don't need a website!

Kingyo is definitely at or near the top of the list for Vancouver izakaya. enRoute magazine named it one Canada's best new restaurants in 2007. I think owner Minoru Tamaru knows how to create just the right vibe - apparently he even imported all the interior fixtures from Japan and China.

• 1 month later...

I agree with Canucklehead and Kentan, Kingyo is my favourite and I think it's the best. Definition of izakaya is quite broad so I would still consider Zakkushi an izakaya. Aki on Thurlow could almost be bunched in as an izakaya as well.

ahh where's the button for the fries?

• 1 month later...

My personal favourite is Yuji's with Kingyo following behind that. That being said, I wish Yuji's hadn't gotten rid of the grilled miso yuzu chicken. It was one of my favourite dishes.

• 4 weeks later...

I recently visited Vancouver and had an opportunity to dine at Guu on Thurlow. Wow, that was a nice meal! Unfortunately I didn't take notes right away but I do remember that everything I had was delicious: croquettes, pea shoots, oyster gratin, etc. Service was professional and prompt. Sit far from the bar if you prefer a quieter experience.

Highly Recommended

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

• 4 months later...

Hapa Izakaya's quest to take over the whole north side of 1400 block Robson seems to be moving forward. :wink: The sign in the window of a recently deceased rug merchant next door says 'Hapa Izakaya version 3.0' I wonder if this will be another extension to the original restaurant or something different entirely.

• 3 months later...

Gyo-O (魚王 = Fish King / King of Fish)opened back in mid-October on Sexsmith Rd in Golden Village. It's created by the same group as Gyoza King. Has anyone ventured down there to try it yet? The decor looks really cool. Website here.

Gyo-O (魚王 = Fish King / King of Fish)opened back in mid-October on Sexsmith Rd in Golden Village. It's created by the same group as Gyoza King. Has anyone ventured down there to try it yet? The decor looks really cool. Website here.

Made it down there tonight - thanks Canada Line. I have only good things to say. Quality of their uni and ikura, especially, were top-notch, prices were fair and service is great. If you're just dropping by once, the assorted sashimi (don, roll, or salad form) is where it's at, as the quality of everything is so good and the plate is well-garnished. You can get a share plate for $27.50 which is really, really, big - a table next to us ordered it. Takoyaki was freshly made. We ate 5 entrees and were stuffed and the bill came to $60. All the plates were as beautiful as the restaurant's interior.

Only problem is that it's not licensed. :rolleyes:

Edited by Nicholas Ellan (log)

• 2 weeks later...

Guu Garden, the latest izakaya in Kitanoya Guu's expanding chain, opened in January in Okada Sushi's old spot - 888 Nelson St.

And checking the Guu website it looks like Toronto got their first Guu restaurant at the end of December. Guu Toronto website.