• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kindai Tuna!

SeanDirty

if you have never heard of Kindai Tuna!! its farmed at Kinkai University in Japan!! its raised not by catching wild fish and finishing them off, but from eggs to the finished product. They are only fed mackerel squid and one other fatty fish... but could you imagine!?!?!??!?!?

This is the Kobe of the fish world, i just got my first 130# fish pics will come!! :)

Edited by SeanDirty (log)

I may be in the gutter, but I am still staring at the stars.

Exciting! It would be great to eat bluefin again. Even if the quality is not quite up to the best wild specimens, if it helps preserve the wild stock, it is a wonderful thing. I am curious to try it.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Exciting! It would be great to eat bluefin again. Even if the quality is not quite up to the best wild specimens, if it helps preserve the wild stock, it is a wonderful thing. I am curious to try it.

who said quality isnt as good as wild?? the quality is actually better.... since its diet is controlled, almost every single aspect of the tuna's life is controlled.... so they make the fish exactly what they want it to be...

gallery_47288_6309_5828.jpg

gallery_47288_6309_5916.jpg

gallery_47288_6309_3474.jpg

Notice how white the fat is and how much there actually is... my finger is covered in fat from the tuna barley touching it..

who said quality isnt as good as wild??  the quality is actually better.... since its diet is controlled, almost every single aspect of the tuna's life is controlled.... so they make the fish exactly what they want it to be...

But does that make it "better?" And better in what way?

How much exercise do the fish get? Nowhere near as much as wild, I'd guess. Exercise contributes to the development of muscle meat, which influences taste and texture.

I'm not suggesting that the Kindai tuna is of inferior quality, and I like the idea from what I've read about it thus far (four articles), but wild fish, while not having all aspects of their life controlled, can develop differently, and in some respects "better" than farmed fish, just as farmed fish may have some better aspects than wild fish.

Edited by Shel_B (log)

... Shel

who said quality isnt as good as wild?? the quality is actually better.... since its diet is controlled, almost every single aspect of the tuna's life is controlled.... so they make the fish exactly what they want it to be...

I looked but I couldn't find any info online. Anyone aware of the feed that is being used?

who said quality isnt as good as wild??  the quality is actually better.... since its diet is controlled, almost every single aspect of the tuna's life is controlled.... so they make the fish exactly what they want it to be...

But does that make it "better?" And better in what way?

How much exercise do the fish get? Nowhere near as much as wild, I'd guess. Exercise contributes to the development of muscle meat, which influences taste and texture.

I'm not suggesting that the Kindai tuna is of inferior quality, and I like the idea from what I've read about it thus far (four articles), but wild fish, while not having all aspects of their life controlled, can develop differently, and in some respects "better" than farmed fish, just as farmed fish may have some better aspects than wild fish.

Well its true it doesnt get as much exercise... however Meat from land animals get more flavor from exercise, fish flavor is gained through the food they eat.

For example a swordfish that eats alot of shellfish will develope orange flesh (pumpkin sword) which will make the meat sweeter and so on...

Slow moving fish like monkfish still tastes great, almost like lobster, although they hardly move...

The kindai tuna are fed Mackerel and squid and other fatty fish.... they are raised for 3 years... The university has worked very hard to control every aspects of the fish's life in order to create the best of both worlds of farmed fish and wild fish.

They do get exercise as when they move they are exercising... and they are raised out in ocean pens.

Info on the fish can be found here from fry to harvest!! and even what they eat.

Kinkai university website

gallery_47288_6309_17281.jpg

Above is a normal, Bigeye tuna number 1 grade.

The below is the Kindai tuna, notice how light pink it is due to all the white fat.

gallery_47288_6309_8454.jpg

notice how it glistens

Kindai tuna are 80% toro (fatty part) and 20% akami (lean part), whereas wild ones are the opposite (70-80% akami and 30-20% toro).

Another benefit is low mercury content, about twice as low as that of wild tuna.

Related story:

NYT article

Edited by Hiroyuki (log)

The biggest advantage of this farmed tuna is that so long as its feedstock is sufficient, it should be sustainable.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

I've been using Kona Kamichi a farmed yellowtail from Hawaii for few years now and while the quality is impeccable, it is missing a certain flavor compared to fresh wild yellowtail I have had from Japan. Most of the yellowtail available has been frozen and has an oiler taste than the Kona Kamipichi. There was an issue of feed where they may have been using a Chinese source with additive but that has supposedly been resolved.

I am eager to try this product as I usually get fresh bluefin from Browne Trading in the summer and really much prefer Toro or o'Toro. For the best one must get the belly cut which has a lot of waste. If I could get a fish with a lot of O'Toro, I would be happy!-Dick

I've been using Kona Kamichi a farmed yellowtail from Hawaii for few years now and while the quality is impeccable, it is missing a certain flavor compared to fresh wild yellowtail I have had from Japan. Most of the yellowtail available has been frozen and has an oiler taste than the Kona Kamipichi. There was an issue of feed where they may have been using a Chinese source with additive but that has supposedly been resolved.

I am eager to try this product as I usually get fresh bluefin from Browne Trading in the summer and really much prefer Toro or o'Toro. For the best one must get the belly cut which has a lot of waste. If I could get a fish with a lot of O'Toro, I would be happy!-Dick

The thing about kona is... they are recently building a new farm... aside from keeping the costs to themselves they figure hey lets let our customers pay for it... which i dont feel is quite fair as we were taking in alot.... so why treat a great customer like that... hurts ....

The biggest advantage of this farmed tuna is that so long as its feedstock is sufficient, it should be sustainable.

That was the question that came to my mind, are the "Mackerel and squid and other fatty fish" sustainable themselves for this practice or are we just pushing the problems lower on the chain?

Looks delicious.

That was the question that came to my mind, are the "Mackerel and squid and other fatty fish" sustainable themselves for this practice or are we just pushing the problems lower on the chain?

Looks delicious.

um.... mackerel and squid are amongst one of the most abundant fish in the ocean... every fish eat mackerel, sardines, anchovies, squid.... Just about everything in the ocean and out eats them.... now maybe if you talk specific species then we may have a particular problem... but eh... Eat them all i say!!

Now if only i could find me that white rhino...