• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Single-malt advice: appeal to our Scottish members

shantytownbrown

a coworker is going home to Scotland next week and has offered to bring me back a bottle of Whisky.

I would like her to get something that I cannot get here in the states.

I enjoy the Macallans (non-fine oaks) balvenie(esp portwood);Glenmorrangie, Dalmore, Edradour, Glenrothes, Highland Park and many others..I guess i tend toward Highland malts and Speysides...I am not a great fan of the highly smoky and over peated malts (i enjoy them on rare occaisions tho)

So if you can suggest something that would fall along the lines of the styles above, but would be different enough to try as a new taste so I can send my friend shopping!

Appreciate any assistance

Shanty

(aka Scott)

I'm not in Scotland, but do visit from time to time...

I'm currently enjoying one of the nicest bottles of Scotch I've ever tried without spending serious money (it cost £33). (Excluding Islay malts which is my personal 'thing'). It's a Balblair 1997 - Balblair (currently) release whiskeys with a vintage rather than age statement.

It's quite full bodied but still retains a lot of delicate fruit flavour both on the nose and pallette, along with very good dried fruit and vanillans. Very little (if any) peat in evidence, and it sits nicely among the range you've quoted. I can't however tell you whether it's available in the US or not!

Try it, I doubt you'll be disapointed!

Cheers,

Matt

ps I'm with you on the non-fine-oak Macallan thing, I may be imagining it but I definitely prefered the Macallans from 10 yrs ago when all they did was mature in sherry casks.

I

ps I'm with you on the non-fine-oak Macallan thing, I may be imagining it but I definitely prefered the Macallans from 10 yrs ago when all they did was mature in sherry casks.

matt,

thanks, i do think my local shop does carry Balblair..dont know what vintage however, i will check...

at least macallan didnt do away with their sherry cask aged whisky..i just wont reach for the other stuff..

anyone know if Bunnahaiban "Yellow Submarine" is still available in the UK...www.singlemalt.tv has a video story with the distiller about its origin...

anyone know if Bunnahaiban "Yellow Submarine" is still available in the UK..

Bruichladdich 1991 / 14 Year old / WMDII - Yellow Submarine ?

Still listed by The Whisky Exchange. Don't know if they actually have any, mind you.

any word on if its worth looking for?

one of my favorites is Blair Athol. sherry cask finish, very drinkable and rich.

any of the Flora and Fauna series are interesting...

will have to do some research on these, thanks for the rec's

Has anyone tried Glenmorangie's Signet, with the roasted (chocolate) malt?

They have it in Heathrow, but they're quite proud of it at 105 STG. I'd like to pick up a bottle for when I go visiting friends across the Atlantic, but is this the one to do? Or would I be better off with something more modest?

Just came back from Glasgow, and even in London Heathrow, i've found this new bottle of Bunnahabhain: "Darach Ur". It means "New Oak", yep, un-chillfiltered and natural colour from brand new American oak caks. An Islay that is really worth a try.

What is cool about that whisky also is:

- it is an excellent dram, and

- This is the first batch ever made, so the bottles are labelled with batch No 1....be quick.

£30, bargain.

mick

Cheers

www.BarNowOn.com

• 2 weeks later...
Just came back from Glasgow, and even in London Heathrow, i've found this new bottle of Bunnahabhain: "Darach Ur". It means "New Oak", yep, un-chillfiltered and natural colour from brand new American oak caks. An Islay that is really worth a try.

What is cool about that whisky also is:

- it is an excellent dram, and

- This is the first batch ever made, so the bottles are labelled with batch No 1....be quick.

£30, bargain.

mick

I've taken your advice and went for a bottle of this to bring back. It is a very pleasant drink.

I like LHR4 for their whisky tasting station, I must say. Even if it was 6 a.m. :smile:

• 2 weeks later...

Great news Peter.

I'm glad that you like the dram.

If you need any suggestion, don't hesitate to ask.

Keep the bottle when you finsh it, or buy another one (keep it close) and wait a couple of years and see how much it will cost on the collector market.

cheers

Cheers

www.BarNowOn.com