• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

La cantine de troquet and le bis severo

pierre45

Again in this financial meltdown I thought I would concentrate on restaurants with good rapport qualite/prix.They are both in the 14e ,quite close to each other.

LA CANTINE DE TROQUET.As mentionned by J talbot, this restaurant takes no reservation and is an off shoot of le troquet in the 15e.the place was humming with good vibes when i came alone.Thanks to Nathalie,the waitress I was given a nice seat with a view of the action.I had the pig ear salad and porc cutlet simmered in lentils.They were both deliceous but quite heavy.This is peasant food at its best.

A carafe of Bandol red married beautifully.The total cost at 25 euros was a bargain.

Also seating was communal so it makes for a lively conversation with your neighbors if you're so inclined.

LE BIS SEVERO. Again a very busy place.The focus is MEAT.So I ordered a faux fillet(27 euros) saignant, that came with fries and drank cahors and ended the meal with figues in wine.They were both correct .Tasty and as expected .No surprises.Total cost 45 euros.I guess meat is expensive.

Meat is expensive, especially the one from Desnoyer and especially when it is aged correctly as it is here. In my opinion, no one in Paris beats Le Sévero or le Bis for beef. Other meats are as good or better other places, but only le Sévero, that I know of, has truly good beef aged enough. And L'Ami Louis.

Meat is expensive, especially the one from Desnoyer and especially when it is aged correctly as it is here. In my opinion, no one in Paris beats Le Sévero or le Bis for beef. Other meats are as good or better other places, but only le Sévero, that I know of, has truly good beef aged enough. And L'Ami Louis.

Well as I will report later, my pal Atar and I went to Moulin a Vent which we chose over Severo this week to our everlasting ignomy. Pti and I had just great beef at Bis and Atar tried Desnoyers veal at home and it was super. But they did as Pti or was it Julot suggested, ask for the best. Me next.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris