• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Jersey Pork Store's franks win national award

John

I was excited to find out that a frankfurter from a Pork Store in my town of Union, N.J. was awarded 2008 Reserve Grand Champion by the American Association of Meat Processors (AAMP) at the annual American Cured Meat Championship held in Cincinnati July 26th. This distinction went to the German style frank produced by Lutz Pork Store on Stuyvesant Ave. in Union.

The Grand Champion award or first place was decided by only 3 points out of a total of 1,000 possible points.

The contest is held annually by AAMP and judges cured meat products from around the country for external appearance, internal appearance, and edibility (aroma, taste, and texture) There were over 50 entries judged blindly by Master Butchers, staff from the Iowa State Food Laboratory and AAMP officials.

Union is home to 3 European style Pork Stores, Lutz's, Gaiser's, and the Union Pork Store. Fritz's Pork Store closed about 2 years ago. All produce excellent frankfurters, sausages, and other meats. I spoke with someone from the AAMP to find out if some other N.J. meat producers (many that I'm familiar with) were included. Lutz's was the only one from Jersey, which again shows the high quality of Jersey hot dogs.

John the hot dog guy

I was excited to find out that a frankfurter from a Pork Store in my town of Union, N.J. was awarded 2008 Reserve Grand Champion by the American Association of Meat Processors (AAMP) at the annual American Cured Meat Championship held in Cincinnati July 26th. This distinction went to the German style frank produced by Lutz Pork Store on Stuyvesant Ave. in Union.

Way to go Lutz!

Only one question. Why didn't ESPN televise this competition :)

Dum vivimus, vivamus!

Indeed, Lutz's makes a great frank.

To clarify, the Lutz frank competed under the trade name German Valley Foods, and competed in the Frankfurters/Wieners-Emulsified category. As "grand reserve" champion, that means they placed second. (Dewig Meats of Haubstadt, IN, was grand champion by, as John noted, a mere three points, 905 vs. 902, on a scale of 1 to 1,000.)

There were 25 categories, ranging from Andouille Sausage to Summer Sausage-Cooked.

Haen Meat Packing of Kaukauna WI garnered the most top awards, winning grand champion honors in Bacon (Heavyweight), Ham-Semi Boneless, Dried Beef, and Ham-Boneless. Haen earned second place under Summer Sausage-Cooked.

Maplewood Meats of Green Bay didn't do to shabbily, either, with first places in Frankfurther/Wieners-Coarse Ground and Specialty Game Meats, second place for Meat Snack Sticks, third place for Summer Sausage-Cooked,

Here's a link to the full list of winners, PDF format.

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

Indeed, Lutz's makes a great frank.

To clarify, the Lutz frank competed under the trade name German Valley Foods, and competed in the Frankfurters/Wieners-Emulsified category. As "grand reserve" champion, that means they placed second. (Dewig Meats of Haubstadt, IN, was grand champion by, as John noted, a mere three points, 905 vs. 902, on a scale of 1 to 1,000.)

There were 25 categories, ranging from Andouille Sausage to Summer Sausage-Cooked.

Haen Meat Packing of Kaukauna WI garnered the most top awards, winning grand champion honors in Bacon (Heavyweight), Ham-Semi Boneless, Dried Beef, and Ham-Boneless. Haen earned second place under Summer Sausage-Cooked.

Maplewood Meats of Green Bay didn't do to shabbily, either, with first places in Frankfurther/Wieners-Coarse Ground and Specialty Game Meats, second place for Meat Snack Sticks, third place for Summer Sausage-Cooked, 

Here's a link to the full list of winners, PDF format.

Do any of these paragons of carniverousness happen to have web sites where we can see/order these goodies? This thread is making me hungry, and lunch isn't for another 90 mins!

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

Thanks for the clarification, rlibkind. I checked the site and saw that Lutz's did finish second. There were four place winners in each category. I spoke with someone from the AAMP and asked how you enter this competition. It turns out that you have to be a registered member of this organization.

Judiu,

There are websites for these meat producers that you can visit. Lutz's site is http://www.germanvalleyfoods.com. DeWig's also has a website. I will be having someone ship me some of the DeWig franks so that I can make my own comparison. I was at Lutz's today, and as you can imagine, they are very happy about their performance. They sell their franks loose behind the counter and also sealed in packages. The sealed franks are sold at Kings, Delicious Orchards, and other retail outlets. Although they are made from the same ingredients and spices as those sold loose, they are not made on premise because to be sold in stores they need to be a USDA plant. The only difference is that the ones packaged are slightly thicker than those made in house. One of the guys at Lutz's told me that they were knocked down a few points for the thickness of their dogs. He told me that had they used the slightly thinner dogs made at the plant, they would have been Grand Champion.

Lutz's franks are delicious. Well made in the German style containing beef and pork. No fillers and instead of using meat trimmings like most hot dog makers do, they use whole cuts of beef and pork. I picked up some today. Last time I had these was last summer at a graduation party. They were a big hit. Lutz's also sells their franks and bratwurst at the Union Street Fairs where I've enjoyed them many times.

John the hot dog guy