• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ambassade...

After a front page splash in Restaurant Magazine and this comprehensive spread in caterer, has anyone been to Jean-Christophe Ansanay-Alex's new restaurant?

My understanding is that the daily set lunch for £30 is not written down anywhere but offered from the front of house memory each day (which is just a little different for a top end restaurant). I'm not clear what the dinner menu arrangement is - 3 courses for £65 or choosing from an individually priced a la carte each evening?

Any reports?

Edited by Marlyn4k (log)

After a front page splash in Restaurant Magazine and this comprehensive spread in caterer, has anyone been to Jean-Christophe Ansanay-Alex's new restaurant?

My understanding is that the daily set lunch for £30 is not written down anywhere but offered from the front of house memory each day (which is just a little different for a top end restaurant).  I'm not clear what the dinner menu arrangement is - 3 courses for £65 or choosing from an individually priced a la carte each evening?

Any reports?

I liked the way the Restaurant Mag link above took me to diabetic cookbooks on Amazon while another link, since disappeared, went to a Tupperware boxed set. Then a refresh of the page made it all work normally again

Something not quite right in the bulletin board's engine room I suspect

No I havent been to l'Ambasade yet

S

Edited by sunbeam (log)

yeah I've been.

food is quite technical, very modern french. the room is like an elegantly designed 1980's fantasy brothel, resplendent in plush purple tones and white leather.

wine list stoopidly expensive, and the food itself is very good.

the acoustics are poor, if only because the sound reduction from the soft finishes are so effective that it sounds like a morgue.

bottom line: super expensive, super ambitious and well crafted. ALA Carte is prob £70 for 3 courses, a set 5 course degustation for £65 and 7 courses for £90

A meal without wine is... well, erm, what is that like?

the room is like an elegantly designed 1980's fantasy brothel, resplendent in plush purple tones and white leather. 

How do you know? Is it your fantasy brothel perhaps! I'm not sure anywhere can be 'resplendent in tones' btw

S

Edited by sunbeam (log)

the room is like an elegantly designed 1980's fantasy brothel, resplendent in plush purple tones and white leather. 

How do you know? Is it your fantasy brothel perhaps! I'm not sure anywhere can be 'resplendent in tones' btw

S

well you let me know what you think when you go, and we can discuss. :cool:

A meal without wine is... well, erm, what is that like?