• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bulkalackh

Lior

This is pretty traditional to most Ashkenazi Jewish households (east European mostly)

Simple and fabulous

1 kg flour

50g fresh natural yeast

1 cup sugar

3/4 cup lukewarm water

4 room temp eggs

200g room temp butter

10 tablespoons oil

a pinch of salt

Put all in large bowl and knead till it doesn't stick. This takes about 5 minutes

Allow to rise for 1 and a half to 2 hours covered and in a warm spot. Divide into 4-6 pieces,knead and roll out to a rectangle like shape piece by piece. You can use different fillings. This is what we do:

piece 1: spread with chocolate spread like Nutella.

Piece 2: same as piece 1 but add pecans or walnuts- roasted not salted

Piece3: cinnamon and sugar

Piece 4: same as 3 but add the nuts again

After spreading with whatever, roll up entire rectangle and then slice pieces and lay them on their sides so they look like snails- streudals. Place them one touching the other in the baking pan. I use a large aluminum cake tray. The must be snug up against each other. Continue in the same fashion for all pieces. All should be in one tray snuggled up against each other. Bake at 150C until a lovely light brown. Check if the dough is baked. To serve they easily come apart into their individual pieces. It is quick and easy. They go fast in my house. I put them in the oven after the dinner comes out. They are ready when dessert comes around after some chatting around the table. I will take pictures- I am now waiting for the eggs to be room temp!

Edited by Lior (log)