• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

NineStars Automatic Trashcan

Richard Kilgore

I just picked up an electronic trashcan at Costco due to the woman shopper who spent almost 5 minutes telling me all about it and how much she and her husband like the four of them they have. This thing holds a 13 gallon bag and you do not have to touch it to use it. You just wave your hand over the sensors on the lid and it opens. It closes tightly enough to contain odors pretty well according to the very persuasive shopper. The trashcan costs $40, and she said that she has seen it in other catalogues for up to $150.

Anyone else have any experience with this spiffy trashcan?

Not yet. Much as I love gadgets, I am still using the chrome "step-on" can I bought back in the '60s.

I'm afraid the basenjis would have a ball with anything that admits ready access.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I thought about getting that same trash can. I changed my mind because I'm the type that likes to chuck things into my garbage can from across the kitchen. I also like to stand over it for vegetable peeling and garlic or onion skin removal. Couldn't do that if the can was closed or the damn thing kept on closing on me as I worked. It is cool though just not my style.

My Photography: Bob Worthington Photography

My music: Coronado Big Band

Not yet.  Much as I love gadgets, I am still using the chrome "step-on" can I bought back in the '60s. 

I'm afraid the basenjis would have a ball with anything that admits ready access.

The other shopper-recommender said that one thing she liked about it is that her dogs can not get into it like they can regular trash cans.

We bought one that looks like this one from Costco for about 40 bucks last summer. It's great. We have garbage pick-up every two weeks and one bag in this trash can easily holds two weeks worth of garbage. We have an excellent green bin and recycling program in Toronto so your mileage may vary. Our house cleaner usually presses the buttons and disengages the sensors. It's just one press of a button to re-set and the motion sensors are back in business. My friends kids and some grown ups have fun with it :wink: