• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Moghul

rozrapp

We went to Moghul in Edison last night for the first time. A very attractive place, it was busy, busy busy! But we were seated immediately. A waiter took our drink order: a well-prepared Mango Lassi for me and Cranberry Juice for my husband ($3.25 each). The waiter brought hot hand towels. We perused the menu. It was really hard deciding what to order since there were so many dishes on the menu that sounded delicious, and there were only two of us.

We began with Vegetable Samosas (2 @ $3.25). When the waiter brought them, he placed the plate atop a little stand with a candle to keep them hot; however, since we attacked them immediately upon their arrival, I’m not sure I saw the point. The Samosas were very large, perfectly deep-fried and crispy, with not a hint of oiliness. The tasty potato/peas filling was quite spicy, but not unbearably so. An auspicious start.

Next came small bowls of soup ($3.25 each): for my husband, Murgh Badam Aark -- “lightly spiced extract of chicken and almonds, flavored with fresh herbs”; and for me, Dal Shorba – “a delicately flavored lentil soup,” which can be had vegetarian or non. (I chose veg.) While the soups had nice flavor, they were not outstanding.

There was quite a long interval between the time we finished our soups and when the next items were served. We shared the following: Gosht Rogan Josh ($12.95) – “lamb pieces cooked Kashmiri style with…spices”; Murgh Vindaloo ($12.95) – “A Goan special for lovers of hot spicy food. A delicious combination of vinegar marinated chicken cubes in coconut flavored sauce, garnished with bell peppers.”; Stuffed Eggplant ($10.95), stuffed with cheese, one of the evening’s specials; plain boiled Basmati Rice ($3.95) which wasn’t exactly “plain” since I found a bay leaf, several cloves, and a large cinnamon stick mixed in; and Nan stuffed with onions, aka Onion Kulcha ($3.95). My husband, the “lover of hot spicy food,” liked the Vinadaloo. I had a taste and, while the chicken was tender and the coconut sauce was tasty, it was a bit too spicy for me. The lamb in the Rogan Josh was also tender with a sauce that had a bit of a bite and was quite flavorful. However, there was a major problem with both these dishes, as well as with the rice: they were all barely warm. The Stuffed Eggplant and the bread did not suffer this problem. The Nan was, in fact, piping hot – almost too hot to handle. We didn’t care for the taste and have had a version we liked much better elsewhere. As for the eggplant, there were four small halves stuffed with the cheese mixture nestled in a red sauce. While they were not piping hot either, they were at least warm, and they were delicious.

We considered sending back the tepid items and would have had they been totally cold. But we did try to figure out how the problem arose. Our best guess was that, since all of the items were served at the same time, and the Nan was the only item that was truly hot, it would appear that the other dishes were prepared first -- with the eggplant being the last of those prepared -- but then languished, growing cooler, while the server waited for the bread to be ready. It would have been preferable to have had the lamb, chicken and rice served as soon as they were cooked, and have the eggplant and bread brought over when they were ready.

We did not have dessert.

Portions, while not huge, were generous enough, and we had leftovers to take with us. They made for a delicious lunch today, particularly since I served everything hot! :biggrin:

Our bill, with tax and tip, came to $75. We knew in advance that this restaurant is considered “expensive” and, admittedly, we over-ordered somewhat because, it being our first time there, we wanted to try a lot of items. We were a bit annoyed at having to pay extra for plain rice. (At the Indian restaurant we normally patronize, rice comes automatically with the meal at no extra charge.)

Based on this one visit, we think the food at Moghul is very good, and we will definitely go again. But next time, it will be for lunch, when they serve what is reputed to be a terrific, bargain-priced buffet.

I was there a while back. The food was not very good. And it came out cold for the most part.

The chef sent desserts made by a dessert chef that worked for the restaurant owner. We got a tasting of stuff they did not have on the menu, it was most amazing. But what good would it do for the restaurant?

I am glad that your experience was better than mine. I will make a trip there one of these weekends in the fall.

The Stuffed Eggplant and the bread did not suffer this problem.  The Nan was, in fact,  piping hot – almost too hot to handle.  We didn’t care for the taste and have had a version we liked much better elsewhere.

Would you mind explaining what you did not like about the Nan at Mughal? I hope I am not troubling you with this question. I am impressed that you paid such careful attention to your meal. And further impressed by your wonderful and generous post about it. Sincere thanks!

Next came small bowls of soup ($3.25 each): for my husband, Murgh Badam Aark -- “lightly spiced extract of chicken and almonds, flavored with fresh herbs”; and for me, Dal Shorba – “a delicately flavored lentil soup,” which can be had vegetarian or non.  (I chose veg.)  While the soups had nice flavor, they were not outstanding.

Sad but true for most Indian restaurants.

Soups are generally not the winning item on Indian menus in the west.

Chefs and owners have not planned for the necessary mis en place and requirements for soup service.

Most often you get soups that have been made using whatever is in the refrigerator and would give as close to authentic flavoring as is required to render a soup.

It is shame but after speaking with many chefs, I have realized it is pretty much the norm.

Would you mind explaining what you did not like about the Nan at Mughal?  

Suvir,

I am flattered that someone as knowledgeable as you are about Indian cuisine took the time to comment on my report about Moghul.

Let me be honest and say that my experience with Indian cuisine is very limited. We have been to one or two Indian restaurants in NYC. But the bulk of our experience has been with only one Indian restaurant in our immediate vicinity of NJ, and I have always been happy with the food there. So, since I am obviously not in any way an expert on what actually makes an Indian dish good or bad, I can only go by how something tastes to me.

Re: the onion-stuffed Nan at Moghul. There was something about the flavor of the onions that did not appeal to me, though what exactly it was that put me off I couldn't say. The only other Onion Kulcha I could compare it to is the one we have had when we have gone to our local Indian restaurant, and that one I like very much. And the funny thing is that my husband, who isn't anywhere near as picky about food as I am, also had the same reaction.

Chefs and owners have not planned for the necessary mis en place and requirements for soup service.

Most often you get soups that have been made using whatever is in the refrigerator and would give as close to authentic flavoring as is required to render a soup.

It is shame but after speaking with many chefs, I have realized it is pretty much the norm.

I have found that the Mulligatawny soup served in our local Indian restaurant has always been excellent. Whether its flavor is "authentic" I couldn't say since it's the only place I have ever had it.

I was there a while back. The food was not very good. And it came out cold for the most part.

I'm sure you noticed that I addressed the issue of some dishes not being hot and gave our thoughts on why it happened. Do you think our theory is correct? Was your food actually cold, or more like tepid as ours was? Did you consider sending it back?

Again, thanks for your interest.

I am flattered that someone as knowledgeable as you are about Indian cuisine took the time to comment on my report about Moghul.

Let me be honest and say that my experience with Indian cuisine is very limited.  We have been to one or two Indian restaurants in NYC.  But the bulk of our experience has been with only one Indian restaurant in our immediate vicinity of NJ, and I have always been happy with the food there.  So, since I am obviously not in any way an expert on what actually makes an Indian dish good or bad, I can only go by how something tastes to me.

I am flattered knowing you are flattered. :smile:

I am not everything Tommy makes me out to be. :wink:

What one thinks of a cuisine or food they eat is all that matters. Who cares what the experts think and know of the history of that dish, ultimately it is our own palate that needs to find a willing companion in those things we eat and enjoy. So, your experience matters much more in this equation than anything else.

It was amazing to me to see someone spend as much time and thought on a post about an Indian restaurant and meal as you did. I was flattered and my Indian ethnicity was entertained more than I imagined it ever needed. Thanks for taking time to write about the foods of my people. :smile:

What is the name of your immediate vicinity Indian restaurant? Maybe you ought to share more about than on another thread. It seems like you enjoy it consistently and often and that means a lot. I would love to know more about it and make a trip to it.

Would you mind explaining what you did not like about the Nan at Mughal?  

Re: the onion-stuffed Nan at Moghul. There was something about the flavor of the onions that did not appeal to me, though what exactly it was that put me off I couldn't say. The only other Onion Kulcha I could compare it to is the one we have had when we have gone to our local Indian restaurant, and that one I like very much. And the funny thing is that my husband, who isn't anywhere near as picky about food as I am, also had the same reaction.

Funny! I am like you about Onion Kulcha. I hardly ever find one I like. The onion flavor is almost always off. Similar to my dissapointment in most Middle Eastern restaurants with their sliced onions.

I believe that some chefs chop onions at least several hours before a shift and at times even a couple of days in advance in some of thes smaller ethnic restaurants. Onions really do need to be fresh and for some reason they do not do well when sliced and sealed in boxes or zip loc bags in refrigerators. The onion flavor gets too intense and the exciting bite that fresh onions have is lost and it becomes overwhelming and smelly.

Maybe that is what may have happened. I am sorry. I am with you on that one. I hesitate before ordering Onion Kulcha at most any restaurant.

Your husband and you are savvy diners. It is apparent in your sensitive taste buds for onions.

I have found that the Mulligatawny soup served in our local Indian restaurant has always been excellent. Whether its flavor is "authentic" I couldn't say since it's the only place I have ever had it.

I wonder if most Indian chefs or not know themselves what an authentic Mulligatawny soup should be.

It is not a dish that has much connection to its original roots. Malaga (pepper) Tanni (water) so what would have originally been called malagatanni is hardly ever prepared outside of homes today. Some restaurants in Southern India serve it as it should be. Some cookbooks must have the recipe. But hardly any restaurant ever serves that authentic version.

So what you had is certainly fine. It is just another variation of the original and like all variations of that soup, it too is very far from the original. Malagatanni is a very water and spicy soup. I believe I give a recipe for it in my cookbook. Now I have to go check on that detail.

If you like what your local Indian restaurant serves, I am sure it is good and you should enjoy it. My guess is that it is certainly no less authentic than most of the versions of mulligatawny I have had.

I'm sure you noticed that I addressed the issue of some dishes not being hot and gave our thoughts on why it happened. Do you think our theory is correct? Was your food actually cold, or more like tepid as ours was? Did you consider sending it back?

Again, thanks for your interest.

I think you are accurate in your guess.

So, again, it makes me think you are savvy and smart.

I am always surrounded by other chefs, owners or friends who are reviewers when visiting Indian restaurants. These are the only times I visit an Indian restaurants (To eat Dosa, lentil and rice crepes, I can go miles), and so most often I have to behave. The chefs would not want to insult the owner or the chef; the owners of another restaurant cannot seem arrogant at another’s. And restaurant reviewers have me for my expertise but not for me to make a call like that.

I would have loved to send the dishes back. But that was not an option I could exercise.

I am again, thankful that you posted about your experience. I hope you would start a thread on your neighborhood and favorite Indian restaurant soon. It seems wonderful.

:smile:

What is the name of your immediate vicinity Indian restaurant?  Maybe you ought to share more about than on another thread.  It seems like you enjoy it consistently and often and that means a lot.  I would love to know more about it and make a trip to it.

The restaurant is Aangan. It opened a number of years ago in a small space in a small strip mall on Route 9 South in Manalapan, a location only 5 minutes from our house. Before that, we had gone a few times to an Indian restaurant located in Howell which is about 20 minutes away. So, it made sense for us to go to the closer one. And we actually liked the food at Aangan much better. On Thursdays, they served a dinner buffet at a set price (I think it was $15), which gave us the opportunity to sample lots of different dishes. But we went other nights as well. They were never particularly busy, and I often wondered how they managed to stay in business.

Well, sometime in 2001, they moved to more spacious and more handsomely decorated quarters in another strip mall on Route 9 North in Freehold. However, we haven't gotten around to eating at the new location. (We have been to an Italian restaurant right next door to these new digs, and that's why I know what they look like.)

Because it has been such a long time since we have eaten Aangan's food, and sometimes when a restaurant makes a move, things change, not always for the better -- though I sincerely hope this will not be the case -- I cannot post a thoughtful description right now. But this discussion is making me want to go there soon, and when we do, I will post about it.

Btw, another Indian restaurant called Apana has taken over the old location. We have not tried it and have not heard anything either good or bad about it.

Btw, another Indian restaurant called Apana has taken over the old location.  We have not tried it and have not heard anything either good or bad about it.

These are the times I think I should learn how to drive and get a car.

Thanks for the information.

Do start a thread on Angan as and when you get there. Would love to hear from you about the new location and if it is still as good as you remember it from the past.