• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunchtime strategies in Flushing

TongoRad

Another Flushing thread?

If you’ll pardon the indulgence, it seems to me that the context here is different enough to warrant one. When I first started working in the area one of my first tasks was to investigate my food options (of which there are many, naturally). But when you’re on a lunch break those sit-down meals that people tend to write about don’t really seem to apply to your personal situation- too big, too expensive, takes too much time, etc. So this is for those who work in the area, or will be working in the area, or are just passing through, and want to make a wise investment within their lunchtime constraints.

Some like it hot- the famous Szechuan restaurants (Spicy and Tasty, Little Pepper, etc. in the vicinity of Roosevelt and Main) definitely have a number of lunch specials, and you could eat very well in the $5 range, but here’s what I like to do- spread a larger order over several days, still averaging $5-6 a day. Prior to doing this I felt like I was missing out on what these places are really all about, coveting that lamb with cumin or whatever. You just have to keep in mind that some dishes are better left over than others. With the noodle dishes in particular- the ones with minced beef/pork are drier and don’t really come off as good the next day, but the one with the braised beef has more broth and is a perfect choice. If you are craving enough peppercorn heat to numb your lips then go with the minced pork/beef, but keep in mind that it is better in one sitting. I am starting to have a preference for the braised beef, though, because those little nuggets are sooo silky and luxurious. An average haul (Szechuan wontons, pickled vegetables, braised beef with noodles, broccoli or green beans) is in the $19 range and will last for 4 lunches. I like going to Little Pepper, but have found that there is enough of a language barrier to prevent placing a takeout order over the phone, but you will have no problem doing it in person (the menu has English translations).

South Indian- in particular Dosai, Vadai, Iddlies. (If there is a local place serving a thali lunch special, I haven’t found it yet.). A little bit of a ride from the main drag, at Bowne and Holly just east of Kissena Blvd., are three notable South Indian options: Dosa Hutt, Sai Bhavan, and the Canteen in the basement of the Ganesh Temple. You can get a fine meal at any one of them, and they’re all within spitting distance of one another. There is a definite stylistic difference between all three, and it really seems to manifest itself in the sambar (of all of the components of a dosa lunch this is the one that really does it for me)- the Canteen’s is full flavored and heavy on the spices and vegetables, Sai Bhavan’s is elegant focusing instead on the sourness of the tamarind, and Dosa Hutt’s seems to split the difference between the two (seemingly) extreme examples of its neighbors. The chances of getting vadai crispy and fresh out of the oil are pretty good at Dosa Hutt (though I’ve seen them nuked there as well.). The rava dosa at the Canteen is incredibly lacy and crispy at the edges, and is probably my fave item at all three places.

Pakistani/Bengali- I have found Chatkhara, on Main Street near the Botanical Gardens, to have the best food and offer the most ‘lunch-friendly’ options. (It’s neighbor Malik, which does have good halim and biryani, has stopped offering combination platters making it an a la carte place for the other items). The lunch platter is $7, maybe a bit on the pricy side, but they do have cheaper options. The vegetarian option is the way to go, particularly when they have their crazy-good aloo gobi- two choices plus rice plus a naan. This a refrigerated display case type place- you order what they have available pre-cooked and they heat it up for you. The non-veg has only one choice, but if it is the curry chicken on the bone it is a good bet to get that. They also have a variety of kabobs available, and that is a main reason that I go there so often. Even if you get individual orders of kabobs, naan and maybe some keema samosas you are still getting a great lunch in the $6-7 range. The chaplis are an awesome cheap option, most likely made from chicken, not beef, but incredibly juicy. A bit more expensive, at $5, is the chicken tikka which is, again, incredibly juicy and flavorful. Naan is under a buck so I just usually make a satisfying sandwich with the tikka. They also have halim and biryani available.

Malaysian- Banana Leaf, on 41st just off of Main Street, has many lunch specials and affordable noodle dishes available, but to tell you the truth I don’t know very much about them besides their wonderful Asam Laska, which has a tremendous balance. I would suspect that a noodle soup that features anchovy-type fish, tamarind, chiles and fresh mint could go very much off-the-rails in the wrong hands. That definitely does not happen here and every time I order some I love it even more. This is one of those ‘worth the trip’ type dishes.

Kew Gardens Hills- technically still Flushing, on Main Street south of the LIE. This is the nabe to head towards for killer, and I mean killer, falafel and schwarma. Naomi’s is the place to go for falafel, and they do it right; only frying up enough patties for a couple of sandwiches at a time, and they do it right behind the counter. Plus they layer the pita- patties, salad, patties, salad- for a nice mix. Their ‘Turkish’ salad, a variation of acili ezme, makes a great all-around condiment. Just down the road is Grill Point and their lamb/turkey schwarma is $9 on lafa bread. It is a genuine splurge and worth every penny. The meat is a perfect combination of crispy bits and tender juicy bits, and the toppings put it onto the next level- ‘everything’ includes hummus, spicy relish, Israeli salad, tahini and French fries (chips). And the bread is freshly made, practically on the spot. Plus you get a container to fill from the salad bar- I find the carrot salad with lemon slices and a spicy dressing (sort of like harissa) to be addictive, but there are a whole host of delicious items to choose from.

Those are my regular haunts, and there are more worth a mention, but this is getting long already and at least I got the ball rolling.

Edited by TongoRad (log)

aka Michael

Chi mangia bene, vive bene!

"...And bring us the finest food you've got, stuffed with the second finest."

"Excellent, sir. Lobster stuffed with tacos."

I really enjoyed reading that!

A few years ago, when I used to get to Flushing more often, I liked to patronize a Malaysian restaurant called Satay on the corner of Holly and Kissena, which I found consistently pretty good, authentic to my taste, and better than the restaurants on 40th Road (of which I much preferred Restaurant Malaysia to the other one). I haven't tried Banana Leaf, though. Honestly, I probably won't, because I go to Flushing strictly for leisure (most often, to go to Spicy and Tasty), and I'm perfectly satisfied with Skyway in Chinatown. But it might be worth your while to check out Satay if you're in the area.

Superpages results:

Satay Corporation

4601 Kissena Boulevard, Flushing, NY 11355

(718) 888-1868

Edited by Pan (log)

Michael aka "Pan"

Thanks, Michael.

I've pondered that place many a time while I was waiting to make that left from Kissena to Holly, so I definitely know where it is. Is there anything particular you'd recommend?

(your post reminded me that I should be adding more precise addresses. I'll have to add those on the next round).

aka Michael

Chi mangia bene, vive bene!

"...And bring us the finest food you've got, stuffed with the second finest."

"Excellent, sir. Lobster stuffed with tacos."