• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Garde manger

charalito

hey guys!

last week I went to Puerto Vallarta to take classes with chef Thierry Blouet (photos soon) and while learning I met a chef from my hometown, she was my team mate. I am only a foodie completing a basic program (housewifey) in culinary school, but it seems like I'm not all that bad, since I got offered a gig back home!!! :)

Well, I just finished my second day with no cuts or burns or broken anything! Yay me! The rest of the staff is actually being very nice, sparing me from their regular jokes (smearing hot chile to your drinks and such) and giving me useful tips.

Any advice for this newbie in the big kitchen? Is it considered ultra corny if I bring some food for the rest of the staff as a thank-you-for-not-killing-me gift?

thanks!

Work clean - work fast - take no guff - you will win respect. Good luck.

P.S. you will get burned and you will get cut. Thank of it as battle scars.

Good luck again - looking forward to your photos.

Jmahl

The Philip Mahl Community teaching kitchen is now open. Check it out. "Philip Mahl Memorial Kitchen" on Facebook. Website coming soon.