• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cafe d'Alsace

markk

Is there anybody with any experiences at Cafe d'Alsace on 2nd Avenue who could report in? Thanks.

Overheard at the Zabar’s prepared food counter in the 1970’s:

Woman (noticing a large bowl of cut fruit): “How much is the fruit salad?”

Counterman: “Three-ninety-eight a pound.”

Woman (incredulous, and loud): “THREE-NINETY EIGHT A POUND ????”

Counterman: “Who’s going to sit and cut fruit all day, lady… YOU?”

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's

• 3 weeks later...

Well, we went anyway, on Christmas Day, and it was a most pleasant surprise.

The place is totally without pretension, and from the decor, I was sort of afraid of what we'd get. But it was a delicious meal.

We started with many orders of Tarte Flambee, and though it wasn't the exact authentic thing (I've spent a lot of time in Alsace), it was a very enjoyable rendition. Clearly it was something that had been prepared and reheated, but it performed well enough to make a very enjoyable start to the meal, along with a delicious Alsace Riesling.

I had read somewhere (not here, obviously) that starting with the various sausages was a must, and we did just that - appetizers of their Duck sausage, Pork sausage, and "White" sausage. Each came on a bed of hauntingly delicious and thoroughly authentic Choucroute (sauerkraut), and the sausages were exemplary, especially the duck sausage.

I had ordered the Choucroute Garni as a main course, not realizing that sauerkraut would be the first course, so I changed my order to Cassoulet (not in any way Alsatian), and it was absolutely delicious. The beans were beautifully flavored, crusted with breadcrumbs, and perfectly firm and al-dente. The duck confit was superb, and there was yet another variety of duck sausage that was outstanding, as well as many other meats and pork belly. I'd surely have it again, though now that I've tasted the sauerkraut and sausages as an appetizer, I can't wait to go back for a full Choucroute Garni! Two of us had the Cassoulet, and our third had the Baeckeoffe of lamb, which we all tasted, and which was thoroughly delicious.

An outstanding Madiran (Montus 2003) accompanied the main courses.

And there was a quite acceptable "fine" apple tart for dessert.

It was a better meal than I could have hoped for, and would definitely temp me to schlep all the way over to the East Side.

And believe it or not, we completely forgot to take photos, though there was absolutely not enough light anyway.

Overheard at the Zabar’s prepared food counter in the 1970’s:

Woman (noticing a large bowl of cut fruit): “How much is the fruit salad?”

Counterman: “Three-ninety-eight a pound.”

Woman (incredulous, and loud): “THREE-NINETY EIGHT A POUND ????”

Counterman: “Who’s going to sit and cut fruit all day, lady… YOU?”

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's