• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Return of the Bagmaker

Rhubarb

I just lost my scotch tape, so I decided I'd open up the Bagmaker I recently ordered on a whim. I am not old enough to remember their release (this stylish avocado model dates to 1970), but I can imagine it being a real cultural milestone. For those, like me, who aren't already familiar with them, it's like a FoodSaver machine, only without the vacuum or cutter. It comes with a roll of bags-to-be; you pull out the desired length and seal it, cut it (manually). Fill it, and seal again. Not so exciting on its own, but as a confectioner it's a very handy thing to have for sealing packaging etc. Anyone else who has a use for these should know that they're a mere four dollars at American Science and Surplus. The vintage packaging alone is worth it.