• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Spitzer's Corner

feedmec00kies

So I've heard in various places (NYT, Eater) that Spitzer's Corner just opened. Well, actually, I'm behind on this, because apparently all sorts of talk was going on about it b/c it was supposed to have some guy from Top Chef, Sam Talbot who backed out (I didn't care much, since I have no cable and therefore no Top Chef).

I've tried combing the interwebs for more information, but I haven't found much in the way of a beer list. Yes, yes, I hear that they have around 40 tap beers and some more bottled stuff, but I want more detail! Their site isn't up yet, there's no listing on Ratebeer, and anything I did find online only mentions a few beers/breweries... names that were dropped were St. Bernardus, Southampton, Dogfish Head, Old Rasputin, Aventinus, and Young's. It sounds good, but I want more specifics. One site mentions that supposedly, the owner believes this place to have "the single greatest selection of beers ever assembled in the city". I want someone who's been there to tell me how good this selection really is, and how it stacks up to some other places in nyc (Hop Devil, Blind Tiger, Spuyten Duyvil).

And, on a side note, how's their food? It sounds pretty good (though I won't lie; port fat popcorn is a little frightening, but I'd probably still try it.. probably after eating only salad all week!).

"I know it's the bugs, that's what cheese is. Gone off milk with bugs and mould - that's why it tastes so good. Cows and bugs together have a good deal going down."

- Gareth Blackstock (Lenny Henry), Chef!

eG Ethics Signatory

SPITZER’S CORNER Reclaimed wood from Minnesota and 80 beers, more than half of them on tap, distinguish this bare-bones pub. The owners are Will and Rob Shamlian. Michael Cooperman, formerly at Le Bernardin, is turning out serious bar food like pork fat popcorn and beer-battered oysters: 101 Rivington Street (Ludlow Street), (212) 228-0027.

From The NY Times "Off the Menu" Column.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

We stopped in one evening last week before dinner and had a couple...I had a Rogue Dead Guy and the Mrs. had something else...for the life of me, I can't remember but a few of the drafts, including...

Anchor Liberty

Sierra Stout

Rogue Dead Guy

Magic Hat

Guiness

La Chouffe (and a couple of other Belgians)

All those taps lined up looked cool, however. Next time I walk by I'll try and grab a beer list...

The mention of the single greatest selection of beers in the city might be pushing it! Didn't eat.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

there are a lot of bars with beer lists in the 50-80 range (The Room, The Other Room, The Other Other Room, Blind Tiger, Valhalla, Cafe Alsace) but I've never seen one with a great domestic beer list.

the largest beer list I've ever seen was Zur Krone in Milwaukee (about 450 different beers).

Yeah, I read that first, I think, and it set of my whole search for more info...

"I know it's the bugs, that's what cheese is. Gone off milk with bugs and mould - that's why it tastes so good. Cows and bugs together have a good deal going down."

- Gareth Blackstock (Lenny Henry), Chef!

eG Ethics Signatory

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, so we stopped in last night for a bite. Here are some of the draught beers (not all!)...

Allagash White, Ayinger Celebrator, Bear Republic Hot Rod Rye, BR Racer, Corsendonk Brown Ale, Dogfish Shelter PA, Gouden Carolus Amber, Hedonism Red Ale, Jever Pils, Kasteel Triple Gold, Leffe Blond & Brown, Magic Hat #9, Maredsous 8 & 10, Schneider Aventinus, Smuttynose Summer Wheat, Southampton Double White, Souther Tier Unearthly IPA, St. Bernardus Prior 8 & 12, Stone Arrogant Bastard & IPA, Stoudt's Pils, Thomas Hooker Imperial Porter & Red Ale, Victory Golden Monkey & Prima Pils, Weihenstephan Hefeweisse, Young's Double Chocolate...

Oh, and as for the bite, the best thing we had was the burger - decent, but not in the realm of the best burgers this city has to offer. Chicken was forgettable. The BPLT - or berkeshire pork, lettuce & tomato - had promise, but I think the bread really should have been a baguette - it was toasted brioche. Too much mayo, too.

Fried oysters utterly awful. Bready and chewy...crappy frying of crappy product.

French fries weren't bad, with a little better frying they might have been really good.

Drink beer here - and maybe eat elsewhere!

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Stopped in last week, seems like weinoo covered most of the ones I remember, but we had: St Bernardus Prior 8 & 12, Unibroue Blanche de Chambly, Gouden Carolus Amber, Schneider Aventinus, Ayinger Celebrator (the Aventinus was actually in bottle).

The beer menu offers up nice descriptions of each selection, along with alcohol content. Lots of belgian style beers.