• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

St Clements / Hastings

Hi, staying in St Leonards/Hastings this weekend, the only restaurant which seems to be much cop is St Clements (well reviewed by Mr Rayner). Thinking of going there Saturday night and Sunday lunch, anyone been/got any comments?

One reservation I have is that it is our anniversary weekend and not sure StC will be "romantic" enough. Anyone got any other recommendations in the Hastings area? Really don't want to travel too far.

Thanks in advance.

Jan Moir reviewed it in the Telegraph (here) and gave it positive marks.

I haven't got much experience of other good places to eat in the area that are suitable for an anniversary. The Wild Mushroom and The Place are restaurants that I've heard of that might be suitable.

There are a few things worth including during your weekend though:

Tush's Fisherman Rolls - freshly caught dabs fried in olive oil and served in a white roll - are a must. He can usually be found on the road the old fisherman's huts.

The Mermaid is good for fish and chips IMHO - some people say they're fantastic.

Judges Bakery is also worth visiting.

Hi, staying in St Leonards/Hastings this weekend, the only restaurant which seems to be much cop is St Clements (well reviewed by Mr Rayner). Thinking of going there Saturday night and Sunday lunch, anyone been/got any comments?

One reservation I have is that it is our anniversary weekend and not sure StC will be "romantic" enough. Anyone got any other recommendations in the Hastings area? Really don't want to travel too far.

Thanks in advance.

It's a very nice restaurant, the sort anybody would want on their doorstep.

But romantic? Nah, not really.

Jay

St Clements was great. Nothing "fancy" about the place, but friendly and knowledgeable staff and great food. Swordfish Sicilian style was superb, garlic overload, but in a good way! Great wine too.

Top stuff, will be back sometime.

• 2 weeks later...