• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Little Pete's

Holly Moore

Little Pete's on 17th, opposite the Warwick, is one of Philadelphia's quiet, unsung, heroes. Occasionally maligned, but only by those who have not found themselves hungrily wandering the streets at three in the morning.

Little Pete's has everything on their menu. At least everything one would want to eat at three in the morning. Beyond that, dependable breakfasts and a lunch sandwich I always turn to in times of extreme stress. My business is about a block from Little Pete's. When their delivery guy shows up with a grease stained brown bag in my name, our staff knows to walk softly and treat me kindly. In the bag, about a pound of comfort - Little Pete's reuben. There is no greasier or better sandwich in Philadelphia.

Today wasn't all that rough. As is my way lunch came late, about four. I ordered my 3 AM favorite - Little Pete's eggs benedict. My post to the Philly drinking and nightlife thread got me hungering for one. Since nowadays about the only thing I'm usually doing at 3 AM is heading from bed to bathroom and back, I broke with my traditional timing and ordered eggs benedict for lunch.

gallery_14_105_13762.jpg

Not really traditional eggs benedict. Fried eggs instead of poached. A thick slab of ham under both eggs. Mayonnaise spiked with lemon and browned under the broiler instead of hollandaise. When ordered at a more traditional hour it comes with hash browns instead of french fries. Alas the fries had been sitting around some. Hash browns are better. Then again, Little Pete's fries right out of the fryer are great and, best of all, they are not shoestring.

Incidentally, the counter waitress has a great recipe for blender hollandaise. A little Worcestershire, a little cayenne. Gives it a nice kick, she promises.

Edited by Holly Moore (log)

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter