• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Nice & Avignon

jeffperez62

Hi All, I'm flying into Nice in October and I need help.

1) In or around nice where should I eat??

2) After 2 days in Nice we may be going to Avignon, but I'm wondering where in Provence/Languedoc should I go for the best eating/wine experience.

This trip is all about food/wine. I'd love any and all ideas/suggestions

Thanks.....Jeff

If you don't eat your meat, you can't have any pudding. How could you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat!??

We really enjoyed La Petite Maison and L'Univers - Christian Plumail when we were in Nice last month.

Plumail's Langoustines wrapped in pancetta and roasted were really outstanding. I don't know where he gets his lamb, but it is some of the best I've ever encountered. I had it several years ago and was worried that it wouldn't be as good as I remembered. It was even better.

La Petite Maison is a very fun place with excellent Niçois cooking. There were several large parties of locals celebrating when we were there. They have so many good things to choose from, I was happy I could order a first course combination of the things I wanted most.

Both places have a nice selection of local wines, including Bellets.