• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pongal or Mavalli Palace

vivin

I have been to Mavalli recently. It was ok. never been to Pongal.

A south Indian friend is coming to town and he gets no South Indian in Providence where he lives currently.

which one of the above two is a better choice for dosas, idlis, etc.

thanx..

Vivin,

I have been to both. But not in a few months to either. The last time I was at Mavalli it was not good at all. I was dissapointed. And then you were at Mavalli and quite liked it.... My last experience at Pongal was better than my last one at Mavalli.

Maybe someone has been to both of these in the much more recent past and will help us better.

Had the following at Pongal last night:

Appetizer plate

Bhel puri

Onion masaala dosa

Idli

Mysore masala dosa

The meal was mediocre. The mysore masaala dosa had no masaala lining the dosa. I had to ask for it separately. Not very good. The potatoes inside were very bland. The coconut chutney was no good. The sambhar, otoh, was very good. The appetizer plate was really bad. Everything had been pre cooked and then obviously reheated in oil etc. Not done part of the way and then cooked to completion (as should be done).

Mavalli was much better.

Had the following at Pongal last night:

I'm sorry that you had a not-so-stellar evening -

I have never had a dinner at the places you mention -- I have had good

lunches during weekend at Pongal in the past - Maybe much of what I had was

fresh batch of the day.

anil