• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lyon

David Naylor

A quick and i hope simple question, i am looking to stay in Lyon in a couple of weeks just for the one night. Does anybody know the most central place to stay for restaurants, bars and shops. My house in france is only 100 minutes away so i will have plenty of opportunities for cultural activities on other occasions, this time we are taking our neice and she will have spent plenty of time in Burgundy being "cultural", she (along with my wife) will want to shop whereas i will want to drink eat and drink.

Cheers in advance

david

You did not mention anything about prices but you could try the Cour des Loges if your pocket is sufficiently deep. I'm afraid I really got no further than the door as it cost more than I wanted to pay - but thought "perhaps some other time". This hotel is like a luxurious Venetian palace in the heart of Vieux Lyon - so plenty of good spots to eat and drink in the neighbourhood and somewhere soothing to recover afterwards. Maybe the place crops up a bit too frequently in anglophone travel and style magazines but it is quite stunning.

Edited by kerriar (log)