• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

vinopolis

Gary Marshall

Here's my take - if your guests are not very knowledgable, but interested in learning a bit about the history of wine and wine-making - it's fun. Vinopolis is kind of a cross between a museum and an amusement park, with wine as the exhibit/amusement. The building itself is outstanding - and the "exhibits" are well done. But I think someone who knows a lot about wine already, is mildly critical, and/or expects to be challenged or acquire some kind of major insight, will be disappointed. It's very light and just for fun.

At about £11 or £12 per person entry, it might make for an expensive pre-dinner jaunt - that said, the price includes four or five glasses of wine, whatever's being sponsored/promoted that day. So if you're just in the mood to get a bit tipsy - and curious to see what they have, then it's worth a trip. You could probably get through there in under an hour if you don't linger...

Went the other day with the other half...had a good couple of hours probably made better by the fact that we got ' buy one entry get one free' with that weeks Time Out...have a look in TO the week you want to go but I think the offer was for summer only

Fairly interesting...held the attention well enough...wine tastings were a bit stingy ...and I would advise steering clear of anything too off the wall ...the Chinese Cab Sauv I tried was minging

We went on a Sat so were able to enjoy the excellent Borough Market for a spot of shopping / lunch beforehand

Overall it was a good few hours but maybe not quite up there if you and guests are big wine experts