• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Point inflation is rubbish

Don Giovanni

Point inflation is rubbish...better wine is being made worldwide

If one were to look at our specific region...the Finger Lakes one would have to say that the points today are much higher than they were 20 years ago...or 10 years ago or 5 years ago...why could this be point inflation...absolutely not...it is simple a region that has now started to shine...this is due to new winemakers...better viticulture techniques...better equipment and better information...

Standing back a bit I have to ponder that wines worldwide are experiencing a revolution of great winemaking...information now runs freely and is readily available to anyone who can get to a PC or the library and surf the web...new wine books and studies are helping too...add all this together and you have to conclude that the wine and the winemakers and growers are doing a better job of the craft than maybe ever before in history...so the point is that you are seeing higher points not due to inflation...but all of what the aforementioned points out...

Please note that this response is not to the finger lakes in general (although the wines I have tried over the last few years have seen a marked improvement over 90s vintages) but more in regards to what may be perceived as a global trend.

It may be true that better wine is being made worldwide, but what also seems to be happening is that the traditional character of traditional wines seem to be getting muddled together. It seems that varietals that were once the sole dominion of a small group of growers have in many ways succumbed to the larger market force of the public to find wines that are simply easier to drink, but actually are more homogenous. While it may be true that there are many sources of public information to be shared regarding the winemaking process, the very prevalence of that information dilutes the development of wines in their own regional character.

That being said, I am sure that you know a lot more about it than I do - this is just what I get from people around me that have invested their lives in it.

Please note that this response is not to the finger lakes in general (although the wines I have tried over the last few years have seen a marked improvement over 90s vintages) but more in regards to what may be perceived as a global trend.

It may be true that better wine is being made worldwide, but what also seems to be happening is that the traditional character of traditional wines seem to be getting muddled together.  It seems that varietals that were once the sole dominion of a small group of growers have in many ways succumbed to the larger market force of the public to find wines that are simply easier to drink, but actually are more homogenous. While it may be true that there are many sources of public information to be shared regarding the winemaking process, the very prevalence of that information dilutes the development of wines in their own regional character.

That being said, I am sure that you know a lot more about it than I do - this is just what I get from people around me that have invested their lives in it.

First welcome to the board...I am new also...so to speak...what you are talking is globalization of a worldwide palate...this does ring true in some countries...in others no so the Chinese prefer their wines Red and sweet Parker or anyone else has not moved them...in the Anglican and Spanish worlds yes to a point...you still have the distinctive signature wines in some parts of the world...what we all do me included is don't focused on over 6,000 to 10,000 different wine grapes...we fixate on less than a dozen...so if one was to compare the very few we all rate and hold as noble treasures ...yes homogenization is giving the consumer what they want...if they want different wines...trust me you can find a plethora of wines...as for knowledge and who knows what...each day I feel smaller because I learn...nice post and again welcome...