• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Duvel

Duvel

24 minutes ago, Anna N said:

And I guess @liuzhouis speaking of his experience in mainland China. Perhaps it is a matter of the mainland moving on and the territories clinging to tradition. There are so many examples of this around the world. Diaspora communities cling to tradition while homeland moves on. 

I think from a „moving on“ perspective, both Taiwan and Hong Kong developed faster than the mainland for the better part of the second half of the last century. But I fully get your point !

Duvel

Duvel

21 minutes ago, Anna N said:

And I guess @liuzhouis speaking of his experience in mainland China. Perhaps it is a matter of the mainland moving on and the territories clinging to tradition. There are so many examples of this around the world. Diaspora communities cling to tradition while homeland moves on. 

I think from a „moving on“ perspective, both Taiwan and Hong Kong developed faster than the mainland for the better part of the second half last century. But I fully get your point !