• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mini frittatas

annachan

I'm thinking of making snacks for a cupcake bake-off. Since there will be lots of sweet, I want to bring some savory "cupcakes". I'm thinking mini frittatas with a salmon mousse piped on top. The question is, can I bake the frittatas in cupcake liners? Does it make a difference if I use paper ones or foil ones?

I'd use foil so the moisture from the fritatta doesn't soak through. The structure of the foil should make for easier eating out of hand as well.

Kathy

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. - Harriet Van Horne

Or you could make savoury mini-muffins (the bite-sized kind); I sometimes do them with cheese, and use tomato juice as the liquid; sometimes add chopped sun-dried tomatoes, or chives, or olives, or ......

They pack and travel well. They are great straight from the oven, but they re-heat (microwave) better than frittatas if you want them warm.

I just had an idea - how about some grated potato in them and curry flavour.

Happy Feasting

Janet (a.k.a The Old Foodie)

My Blog "The Old Foodie" gives you a short food history story each weekday day, always with a historic recipe, and sometimes a historic menu.

My email address is: theoldfoodie@fastmail.fm

Anything is bearable if you can make a story out of it. N. Scott Momaday

If you are not opposed to using plastics, I would suggest using silicone or Silpat pans. Less cleanup!

I actually baked them in a silicone mini muffin pan before and they stick like crazy! The same with my non-stick mini muffin pan....

Old Foodie - The potato and curry idea sounds great!