• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

To julienne celery

HQAntithesis

Hi everyone,

So I made this cake today...

gallery_33798_2534_10902.jpg

but I'm not quite happy with the candied celery strips. Celery has that fibrous thing and is a real pain to cut because you have to follow the fibre otherwise it becomes too fragile. In the end I resorted to using a peeler and settling with thicker strips than I'd like. This is probably a silly question but would anyone here be able to describe how to julienne celery properly?

Thanks in advance!

have you tried cutting on a severe angle? that would seem to enable you to have the best of both worlds...a little bit of structure from the fibers, and a little bit of give because you won't have one continuous fiber, rather several diagonally aligned fibers. But of course that won't give you the thin threads you seem to want. I know you may want that for the effect of the cake, but perhaps you could alter the design?

What are the garnishes around the circumference of the cake?

Stephanie Crocker

Sugar Bakery + Cafe