• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Liebherr vs. Conserv

Bond Girl

I am finally getting to the part of my kitchen renovation where I get to buy my appliance (yeah!). Up for consideration is the elegant slim 24" wide liebherr, which retails around $2700. But, friends though I could save on getting a Conserv, which looks pretty similar to Liebherr at a fraction of the price ($900). Does anyone have any opinions on the price differential? Is it worth it? Anyone has it in their homes and would like to share usage stories?

Ya-Roo Yang aka "Bond Girl"

The Adventures of Bond Girl

I don't ask for much, but whatever you do give me, make it of the highest quality.

I have the 24" Liebherr and am quite happy with it. I have them built into the cabinets so the fridge is not visible at all. It appears that may not be possible with the Conserv, or at least it isn't mentioned on the site. The Liebherr is also available in several different configurations (although not nearly as many as in Europe--see below).

They look pretty similar otherwise, but no experience with the Conserv. I love the shallowness of the fridge as nothing gets lost in the back and it's a breeze to clean.

The only issue I have with Liebherr is the fact that they're about 3 times the price you'd pay for one in Europe. I thought about importing one myself (as I did for my induction cooktop, and as these Conserv people have evidently decided to do) but in the end I couldn't find any information on whether the compressor would operate properly with the difference in AC frequency (50 vs 60 hz). Who knows if they've changed the compressor or not? Perhaps you know an electrical engineer or refrigerator repair-person with some insight into this issue... If so, please report back!

i love my 24" liebherr. at first i thought the price was outrageous but when it came to a choice between the liebherr and a subzero in a small kitchen, the liebherr won on both price and size. now after almost 9 months of use, i find that my food keeps longer, nothing in the freezer gets damaged by freezer burn and i never loose anything at the back of the fridge. i'll be moving to a larger home soon and will purchase a liebherr once again. i have seen the conserv and its construction struck me as less substantial than that of the liebherr.

Thank you both. I guess so far the Liebherr wins. I heard that the conserv gets frost in the freezers so may be the extra money is worth it for a frost free fridge.

Ya-Roo Yang aka "Bond Girl"

The Adventures of Bond Girl

I don't ask for much, but whatever you do give me, make it of the highest quality.