• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Konjac / Konyakku / Glucomannan

tangaloor

Has anyone used konjac as a gelling agent?

A search reveals mainly my own comment on the topic, but I know this is possible from my much-beloved and sorely-missed jellycups, now banned by the FDA. (Not because konjac is toxic, but because these delicious little morsels apparently posed a choking hazard due to their shape and packaging, wherein you would squirt them out of the cup and into your mouth, and, if unlucky, down your windpipe.)

Tips for use and some advice on acquisition of this elusive product would be very helpful--I'm hoping to achieve jello-type gels without gelatin. Agar produces a somewhat different texture than gelatin, but the texture of jellycups indicate konjac might be just the thing.

I have found one possible source: Konjac Foods

I dug around in the Asian forums and found only a couple of short mentions.  This thread explains a bit about konjac, but only in the first couple of posts, then that show-stealer agar takes over again.

Hi there,

We use it with great extent here in Malaysia. Also we can get it nearly every bakery supply shop and even in the supermarkets.

I know of the choking hazards, especially for the jellies sold in cups. So I make sure I take it out of the cup and serve it in a small bowl cut up in small pieces when I give it to my children.

It sets at room temperature (in Malaysia, its 30C or so ) if you use the correct water ratio, and can be used with any type of fruit, including pineapple.

gemini girl

www.obsessions-life.blogspot.com

Does that konnyaku flour I linked to seem similar to what you use? Does one just mix it into warm liquid and chill to set? How much konnyaku per measure liquid? Any special tips before I take the plunge and buy a $20 bag of jello? :laugh:

Thanks for your assistance!

Edited by tangaloor (log)