• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Callebaut Courses

Mette

Has anyone done the course 'Starting with chocolate' offered by Callebaut Belgium? I am a reasonably accomplished amateur but would like to expand my skills. I've done a course in Manchester, UK offered by Vantage House.

I'm eager to do another course but they are reasonably hard to come by in Denmark and my budget and time is llimited. Any recommendations are welcome. I had a look at the Valrhona courses but they are very pricy (and some of them in french...).

Thanks

i looked into taking a callebaut course in canada once years ago. they are very helpful, but i didn't end up doing it.

the one in belgium looks pretty good. it is 3 days and only 300 euro...i think that's a pretty inexpensive class, it looks like they take care of meals and snacks too.

i just took the jean-pierre wybauw course in chicago with a few other eGers and it was $845 for three days plus airfare and hotel!

it seems as if they cover a decent amount of material and even though you are pretty accomplished (we've seen your stuff here on eG :smile: ), you might still learn something from these people...after all, they are professionals.

i would say, call them up and ask a few questions and see how they respond before you make your decision. but i would go, if i could!

I have absolutely no experience with the Callebaut courses, so I can't speak about those.

That said, I have just undertaken a Level 1 and Level 2 Chocolates & Pralines course run by Savour chocolate school in Melbourne. I had been doing my own thing with chocolate for about 2 years before I went on the Level 1 course and everyone said I was mad to be doing a beginners course, but it was well worth it - I couldn't believe how much I learnt and how many holes in my knowledge were filled in.