• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Potlagel, Romainian Eggplant

A business associate has asked for help in finding a recipe for this dish his Romanian mother used to make. I am running into a lot of dead ends. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks,

T.

Tobin

It is all about respect; for the ingredient, for the process, for each other, for the profession.

closest I could find to "potlagel" is:

Putlagella  (Romanian Eggplant Salad)

1 1lb eggplant roasted til soft (about an hour at 400)

1 small onion

1 carrot, peeled

1 half orange or yellow sweet pepper

1 hard boiled egg

1 T. mayonnaise or olive oil

1/4 cup fresh lemon juice

salt and pepper to taste

Scoop the flesh from the eggplant skin. Force it through a wire grater over a medium sized bowl. Grate the rest of the vegetables and the egg into the bowl. Add the remaining ingredients and mix. Refrigerate for several hours. Serve as a salad or on crackers or pita triangles as an appetizer.

recipe source

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Thank you, Melissa. I will see if this is what my associate remembers.

Tobin

It is all about respect; for the ingredient, for the process, for each other, for the profession.