• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

morbier du haut livradois

Today I bought some cheese labeled "morbier du haut livradois". It seems rather different from the morbier I usually buy. It is much milder (not stinky at all) and instead of having a horizontal layer of ash, it just has the occasional streak of ash running in no particular direction (kinda like a blue cheese). Is there any difference between morbier and "morbier du haut livradois" or am I just losing my mind?

Reach out your hand if your cup be empty. If your cup is full may it be again.

-- Robert Hunter & Jerry Garcia

According to Steve Jenkins "Cheese Primer" the use of the name "livradois" "is an example of a phony Morbier made in the Auvergne region". With respect to the ashline he notes "The horizontal dark line of ash separating the halves should be bold and evident. If it isn't, the cheese is probably one of the several Morbier imposters - not overtly bad, just bland."

I hope this helps.

Kate

According to Steve Jenkins "Cheese Primer" the use of the name "livradois" "is an example of a phony Morbier made in the Auvergne region".  With respect to the ashline he notes "The horizontal dark line of ash separating the halves should be bold and evident.  If it isn't, the cheese is probably one of the several Morbier imposters - not overtly bad, just bland."

I hope this helps.

Kate

fantastic! thanks!

Reach out your hand if your cup be empty. If your cup is full may it be again.

-- Robert Hunter & Jerry Garcia

Hi,

This reminds me of looking at some Cabrales in St. Louis. It was one of the largest cheese/wine shops in St. Louis with three stores and I was intrigued by the German label, which I could not understand.

The manager insisted that it was Spanish Cabrales even though those words did not appear on the label.

I have since spotted the same cheese masquerading as Cabrales in a high end wine store in Illinois.

Alas, I have never tasted this fine cheese!

Tim