• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sabry's

Nathan

I've been here a number of times and never not come away amazed at the sheer value.

Major Caveat: They don't serve alcohol and you can't bring your own. Don't test them on this -- they're serious.

With that said, it's a small menu. Any grilled appetizer is a standout...squid, octopus, etc. Wonderful charcoal taste.

The whole grilled fish are just as fresh and just as well prepared (olive oil, lemon) as at the Greek midtown seafood palaces...but at 1/5th the price.

The other entrees well worth trying are the seafood tagines (tagines aren't just Moroccan or Tunisian...they're found throughout North Africa)...

the tomato broth/sauce...it's thick is something I really need to learn how to make at home....infused with cilantro and whole coriander seeds. and they're about $14 apiece!

oh, and portions are massive. seriously huge.

There was a good review in $25 and Under in the Times back in '05. Meehan described it as "a cheaper, Egyptian stepsister of Estiatorio Milos."

http://events.nytimes.com/2005/06/08/dinin...53b853a&ei=5070

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)