• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Honmura An

ulterior epicure

I'm sorry if there's another Honmura An thread, but a quick engine search produced none. So, I decided to start one - to talk about the restaurant's closing.

Perhaps it's no big news to the NYC folk, but according to a number of online sources, City Pages being one, the fifteen year-old restaurant Japanese soba and noodle restaurant will have it's last service this Saturday evening, February 17.

Edited by ulterior epicure (log)

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

That three-star rating is ridiculous. But Honmura An has been one of my very favorite places from the time it opened until now. There are places that close that you're kind of sorry about, and then there are places that you're REALLY REALLY REALLY going to miss. For me, this is one of the latter.

Edited by Sneakeater (log)

That three-star rating is ridiculous.  But Honmura An has been one of my very favorite places from the time it opened until now.  There are places that close that you're kind of sorry about, and then there are places that you're REALLY REALLY REALLY going to miss.  For me, this is one of the latter.

A very sad day, indeed. I only went a few times, but was always impressed by the food, atmosphere, professionalism, etc. Anyone know what the story is? I'm guessing they just weren't making money, but I know there are many other possbilities (retirement, relocation, lease changes, etc.)