• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

$51

Florida Jim

Dinner with friends

First: Boiled shrimp with aioli.

2004 Anselmi, Capitel Foscarino:

Lovely Soave; floral nose with some cooked fruit scents and a touch of tonic water; flavors echo the nose, just a hint of RS in a texturally fat mouth feel, great acidity and balance, medium length finish. Shows young and stuffed yet went really well with the dish. Imported by Palm Bay Imports and about $17; I bought a case.

Second: Roasted monkfish with pesto; vegetable broth risotto; and, green beans with pine nuts.

2002 Baumard, Savenniéres:

Lovely, dry chenin with good depth, flesh and sustain. And stellar with the course matching each of its elements. A pairing to remember. Imported by Ex Cellars Agency and about $20; I bought a case.

Third: Assorted cheese and crackers.

2005 Domaine du Vissoux, Beaujolais Cuvée Traditionelle VV:

A rich, dark fruit driven gamay with depth, clarity, structure and length. Wonderful now; better in a couple years. Good with the cheese or by itself. Imported by Weygandt-Metzler and about $14; I bought a case and need to buy another.

Best, Jim

Edited by Florida Jim (log)

www.CowanCellars.com