• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

MG forming

John Woods

Other than the typical ball shape and flat paper shape, are there other applications that may work? Would putting a "cookie cutter" inside the solution help you to form things into that shape?

Executive Chef

The Villa

Alpharetta, Georgia

You're going to have to give us more than that.  Like are we talking alginate s'fers.

But short answer, I'd say no.

Yes, in the alginate. I was thinking that it may just stick to the sides of the form.

Executive Chef

The Villa

Alpharetta, Georgia

What happens if you make a blob in there and then cut out a shape out of that?? Wonder if you can press a cutter into the blob and can keep some definition in the finished blobette you made. I imagine it's been tried already, but still one wonders. If only I felt like playing...

I just made some out of tea a coupla times, mostly caviar. But if you made the blob and left it in the bath and used a small cookie cutter, it should stop the flow of stuff because it's still in the bath. In a perfect world. Then ideally you could make pretty blobs.

I don't have any more detail. Just an idea. I just hope someone tries it & tells me.

Edited by K8memphis (log)

I think you could easily make rings or other basic shaped by using a mold that can absorb/hold the calci and spray the top with more calci. A ring would look nice on a plate, but really would not hold it's shape unless you let it solidify.

My soup looked like an above ground pool in a bad neighborhood.