• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

1976 Margaux, 1975 Warres

bills

1976 Ch. Margaux - An exercise in wine thanatology as this is from the Ginestet era when Margaux was scraping the bottom of the barrel (recovery didn't take place until the 1978 vintage..The nose on this brown edged wine was actually very presentable, but it was lacking on palate, with insufficient fruit to balance out the remaining tannins and finished short. I was strangely drawn to the corpse, however, and my friend and I finished most of the bottle in a sort of wake while thinking good thoughts about better vintages.

1975 Warres - I've always liked 1975 Ports more than many people seem to. Now getting quite pale in colour, the wine had a warm spicy nose, decent body and medium length elegant finish.